A & E waiting times

The newest and closest hospital to me is pretty much mothballed and has closed its A&E down. I'm nigh on forty miles away from what's available to me. It's a mess like.

The newest and closest hospital to me is pretty much mothballed and has closed its A&E down. I'm nigh on forty miles away from what's available to me. It's a mess like.

Whats just as mental is that since Hartlepool closed its A&E and Peterlee being part of North Tees health area. So if your in Peterlee & end up in A&E you'd end up in Stockton hospital despite Sunderland being nearer.
If it is really serious those extra 5 mins or so could be the difference between life & death.

Whats just as mental is that since Hartlepool closed its A&E and Peterlee being part of North Tees health area. So if your in Peterlee & end up in A&E you'd end up in Stockton hospital despite Sunderland being nearer.
If it is really serious those extra 5 mins or so could be the difference between life & death.

As I said mate, what a mess. On the upside I live close to an ambulance station so the journey is one way if you catch my drift.

I originally went to Alnwick Infirmary which is 24hr according to the website. It was shut and had a sign on the door “go to cramlington”.

Good job it wasn’t serious because That cost me over 45 minutes.

Pretty f***ing basic stuff communicating hospital opening hours mind.

As I said mate, what a mess. On the upside I live close to an ambulance station so the journey is one way if you catch my drift.

Tbf i live within walking distance to Sunderland general. I had an elderly relative who ended up in & out of stockton which was a pain in the arse. Ended up dying in stockton which just caused more issues had they had just gone to the nearest hospital. Its not even a Tory austerity issue, its just a common sense v beaucracy issue.

Tbf i live within walking distance to Sunderland general. I had an elderly relative who ended up in & out of stockton which was a pain in the arse. Ended up dying in stockton which just caused more issues had they had just gone to the nearest hospital. Its not even a Tory austerity issue, its just a common sense v beaucracy issue.

I'm inclined to agree. Regardless of political orientation our pen pushers, politicians and press are in the main third rate. Meritocracy my arse.

The E bit is more important than the A part.... I think that's why they are no longer called an 'Infirmary'

Just call them ER's ... and if you can walk or make your own way into them, then it ain't an emergency and probably not an accident.... so the waiting part of the waiting room suits the name given.

Doesn’t surprise me. Took 7 hours to get an 18 month old a bed earlier this week and the kids ward we finally got put on shuts on a weekend so have come home till Monday morning

Last edited:
Good news for Durham hospital is they are building a whole new wing next year and it's getting a bigger a and e, well over due! I work there regularly and how the lads and lasses manage to raise a smile working in them condiontions is beyond me. It's became a rare site if there aren't patients in the hall ways of a and e in beds.

Back