A cashless society

Scary, mate. I’m a fairly law-abiding and decent chap, but I value my freedom to act and behave exactly as I want to, rather than how any specific government or corporation would like me to. Societies grew by self-policing behaviour and if you wanted to be part of it you played along...for the greater good, not for the good of a corporation and their shareholders.
Exactly that marra. Like you a I am law abiding (as near as civic responsibility demands anyway, no one is perfect ;)) but I can see a time where we all have palm chips and certain economic activities will be restricted as court orders much like tagging. Revelations 13:17-18 The beast is capital. ;)

Peer to peer you patronising arse

I’m not patronising anybody, stating that the cost of goods and services is higher due to card processing fees, both MasterCard and visa have increased the % the retailer pays to accept a card. Also explaining the myth that it costs the same as cash handling for small businesses is incorrect. Consumer behaviour is one of the issues, people paying by card for a £5 transaction is a real problem as losing £0.20 on that transaction really eats into margin.

If I have offended you I apologise as that was not my intention.

Don't mind either way although I think there is an element of solutionism in encouraging use for some smaller purchases. I know we basically all need some sort of device for online activities anyway but they're essential for financial management if we go cashless. I agree it's generational too so it shouldn't be pushed through too quickly. I still prefer cash in some ways but that's probably a bit of a curmudgeonly reaction to people who get a bit evangelical about a 'cashless society' when it's really a pretty dull subject - a bit like the 'paperless office'.

I thought it was heading that way, but since they did away with charges to use your card a lot of places have brought in £5 minimum spend. Got caught out straight away in Sam’s bar last night, luckily I could scrape together some change.

I haven’t heard a down side yet. There have been tech downtime of course, but this is becoming more and more robust.

No one would consider a paper ticket on the underground now, it’s all just tap. No one goes into a bank branch now, it’s all online or on your phone. No one buys cds now, it’s all streamed or downloads

I buy CDs and my local doesn’t take card.

Use cash for pretty much all small transactions. Card for bigger ones like in the supermarket. Should always be room for both imo.

Same here, I actually have jars of cash in the house where I keep money in case of an emergency, hol spends etc - missus goes nuts but when the ATMs went down a few month back she wasn't twisting. I've actually just been and paid my hol spending money into the ATM :)

Same here, I actually have jars of cash in the house where I keep money in case of an emergency, hol spends etc - missus goes nuts but when the ATMs went down a few month back she wasn't twisting. I've actually just been and paid my hol spending money into the ATM :)
If banks did away with all charges (lol) then I could see it happening but until that happens I can't see why any normal working person would want it as it'll obviously lead to higher prices across the board. Especially for lower end items and services.

I hadn't realised carrying cash was such a nuisance and hardship til I come on here mind. :lol:

I’m not patronising anybody, stating that the cost of goods and services is higher due to card processing fees, both MasterCard and visa have increased the % the retailer pays to accept a card. Also explaining the myth that it costs the same as cash handling for small businesses is incorrect. Consumer behaviour is one of the issues, people paying by card for a £5 transaction is a real problem as losing £0.20 on that transaction really eats into margin.

If I have offended you I apologise as that was not my intention.
That comes down to the retailer understanding their average customer card spends and picking the most appropriate deal, there are some which are much better for small transactions.

Getting jobs done off tradesmen, even garage prices will go up as they can’t do a traceless cash job. Everything through the books and you are into paying VAT on everything and the tax he would have otherwise avoided on his earnings. Plus the card fees. I fully appreciate that there is another school of thought that thinks that the right taxes should always be paid on all transactions, however. I doubt there is anyone who hasn’t paid a tradesman cash before like.

If banks did away with all charges (lol) then I could see it happening but until that happens I can't see why any normal working person would want it as it'll obviously lead to higher prices across the board. Especially for lower end items and services.

I hadn't realised carrying cash was such a nuisance and hardship til I come on here mind. :lol:

True mind - like I'd give you my card to get the round in while I nipped for a piss

Back