A cashless society

"But but but its quicker etc etc" is the usual response

Aye mate you've shaved 2 seconds off a 10 second transaction. Ya tit.

:lol:
Quicker until they're told they need to spend at least £5 to pay by card, and proceed to pick out bags of crisps and nuts to try and take themselves over the limit.

Use cash for things from corner shop cos he still charges for card payments less than a fiver. When out and about on hols last week, even local food producers at a market we went to had them Paypal card readers.
Can’t see it lasting much longer - 10 years? Yet can’t ever see it vanishing either. It’s an odd one.

Was going to mention this.

isn't that illegal?

Can you imagine the power that transaction data will possess? Your life insurance will shoot up if you’re tracked buying a packet of tabs and a can of full sugar pop every day, or you could be put on black lists if you buy something that is deemed inflammatory by the totalitarian government that has insisted on a cashless society. We’re already tracked enough every minute of every day, we’ve given up most of our anonymity in the name of ‘safety’ and what remains we seem happy to give up on social media. You can’t type any product into google (or this forum) these days without being followed by invasive adverts for the next few weeks. Imagine if they knew what you were actually buying.

Invasive adverts? :) Terrifying.

It’s certainly irritating.

Maybe not at the moment, but it’s hardly a massive leap in logic to see how it could.

Black boxes in cars to make sure you’re driving in a way your insurance wants?

I've got into the habit of blocking any company advertising on my Twitter feed. Into an area now where I'm getting adverts so unrelated to me it's quite enjoyable to see what comes up next.

& Black boxes in cars should be the norm anyway imo, drive properly or lose your licence/get charged a fortune.

The transaction data will only show where it was spent, not what it was spent on.

Depends if the card machine is linked to the epos system, if it is very simple to look at the card receipt no and transaction number and bingo information is there. Most epos system hold the card receipt number, and most hold the data in the cloud.

As soon as the dvla sort out the driving licence in apple wallet ill not only be cashless, but i'll be walletless. Hate carrying shrapnel around with me.

It’s certainly irritating.

Maybe not at the moment, but it’s hardly a massive leap in logic to see how it could.

Black boxes in cars to make sure you’re driving in a way your insurance wants?
It's all on its way mate and sooner than you think. By the end of our lifetime people will look back on our liberty with envy. Anything that makes us behave in a way that can be financially farmed is being realistically considered now.

I've got into the habit of blocking any company advertising on my Twitter feed. Into an area now where I'm getting adverts so unrelated to me it's quite enjoyable to see what comes up next.

& Black boxes in cars should be the norm anyway imo, drive properly or lose your licence/get charged a fortune.
It’s a different (but linked) argument to the point of this thread, but I’m not going to bother responding anymore as you’ve obviously placed a very low price on your liberty.

[QUOTE="James, post: 28140092, member: 22072"]I've got into the habit of blocking any company advertising on my Twitter feed. Into an area now where I'm getting adverts so unrelated to me it's quite enjoyable to see what comes up next.

& Black boxes in cars should be the norm anyway imo, drive properly or lose your licence/get charged a fortune.[/QUOTE]

This for me too now instagram thinks I'm a poof :lol:

Logon or register to see this image

You do realise there is a cost to cash right?

Yes Banking cash for a business is somewhere between 0.85 - 1% the cost of card processing can be higher or lower depending on size of transaction but a £5 transaction will cost approx £0.20 to bank that £5 will cost approx £0.05

It's all on its way mate and sooner than you think. By the end of our lifetime people will look back on our liberty with envy. Anything that makes us behave in a way that can be financially farmed is being realistically considered now.
Scary, mate. I’m a fairly law-abiding and decent chap, but I value my freedom to act and behave exactly as I want to, rather than how any specific government or corporation would like me to. Societies grew by self-policing behaviour and if you wanted to be part of it you played along...for the greater good, not for the good of a corporation and their shareholders.

Back