A cashless society

Discussion in 'SMB' started by chunkylover53, Aug 12, 2018.

1. how far away are we from a place where cash isn’t used?

I always like to have some cash on me, but rarely if ever use it (buying the odd paper from the local shop). Everything else is just tapped these days, quicker and you don’t have to fanny on with change

Apparently Sweden is nearly there

Do you want cash to remain?

2. IAmZlatan

IAmZlatan Winger

Can’t wait, love buying a pint on a card me.

3. Barnacle Boy

Barnacle Boy Striker

It'll never happen

Butcher's Coat and Upthere like this.
  4. Cash seems pointless tbh. Will surely be able to pay for everything on card in the next few years.

5. sadsack01

sadsack01 Midfield

There are bars in Sweden that won't take cash at all.

safcforever likes this.
  6. Frijj

Frijj Striker

I don’t want cash to go to the wall but I do want businesses to become more card friendly.

The biggest stumbling block as far as I can tell is the transaction charges placed by the bank which puts smaller businesses off, especially those that sell cheap things like independent corner shops or newsagents.

Surely that cost has to come down over time. When someone says to me “sorry we don’t take card” I just want to show them a calendar and say it’s 2018 you twat!

bobpc30 and FishburnMackem like this.
  7. CEF

CEF Midfield

Works well until TSB gans down and millions of people will have nee money for days. Genius.

8. Hammer

Hammer Winger

There are bars in London that won’t take cash at all.

9. Frijj

Frijj Striker

Has it’s uses I think. Can’t have a card everywhere and there’ll always be informal transactions that need cash.

10. yorkyexile

yorkyexile Striker

yes. always feel strange going into a pub and buying a beer or a round with card. Also little cafe`s and stuff if we are out for the day and nip in for a brew or owt. Much rather just pay cash for stuff like that

chunkylover53 likes this.
  11. Costs are coming down with this QR code malarkey

12. MackneyHackem

MackneyHackem Central Defender

Just a way of culling the homeless population imo.

13. JAZZMANB

JAZZMANB Striker

Extremely Seb
    Yawn

14. Effrafax

Effrafax Midfield

Never have cash on me these days

15. niknak_123

niknak_123 Striker

Wetherspoons app is takes cashless to the next level. You don’t even have to leave your table

Upthere and Frijj like this.
  16. DoctorMick

DoctorMick Striker

I’d love to be in a position where we didn’t take card, it’s a fanny on maintaining change and banking etc and you get charged to put the fucker in the bank. Sadly, just under 2/3 of our transactions are cash even tho we encourage card so we’re quite a way off.

17. bennett83

bennett83 Winger

Won't be long really, I used to install till systems in schools canteens that were completely cashless, the parents simply topped up online and the kids paid for meals with a fingerprint. That was 5 years ago

Maxnormal likes this.
  18. Maxnormal

Maxnormal Midfield

Use cash for things from corner shop cos he still charges for card payments less than a fiver. When out and about on hols last week, even local food producers at a market we went to had them Paypal card readers.
    Can’t see it lasting much longer - 10 years? Yet can’t ever see it vanishing either. It’s an odd one.

Was going to mention this.

19. cash don’t crash!

20. humbug

humbug Striker

cash is king.
    i find it all a bit cringeworthy when someone uses a card to buy a pint or a coffee tbh.

sidneyeric, royalmush83, CEF and 2 others like this.