9.21pm tonight..

So Italia 90 was in the 80s?
No because "the 90s" isn't "the 90th" anything. It's a separate concept that was invented because the first numbers are the same. I'm OK with that. But the first century started at the start of 1 and ended at the end of 100.

Italia 90 was held in the last year of the 199th decade, if it helps

Last edited:
No because "the 90s" isn't "the 90th" anything. It's a separate concept that was invented because the first numbers are the same. I'm OK with that. But the first century started at the start of 1 and ended at the end of 100.

Italia 90 was held in the last year of the 199th decade, if it helps

Decades and centuries start at the same time, apart from one anomaly where there is no year zero, it just went from 1 B.C. to 1 AD. The 20th century started in 1900, the 21st century was 2000.
It's not counting a number of years elapsing since anything, it's an arbitrary moment in time to start labelling. So although there's a slight discrepancy at the beginning it makes no difference to say that we haven't fully completed 20 centuries until midnight on 31st December 2000.
Edit. Or at 23:59:59 on 31st December 2000, so as not to confuse it with 00:00:01 on 31st December 20000

Last edited:
Decades and centuries start at the same t time, apart from one anomaly where there is no year zero, it just went from 1 B.C. to 1 AD. The 20th century started in 1900, the 21st century was 2000.
It's not counting a number of years elapsing since anything, it's an arbitrary moment in time to start labelling. So although there's a slight discrepancy at the beginning it makes no difference to say that we haven't fully completed 20 centuries until midnight on 31st December 2000.
They do start at the same time, but a year later than you seem to think. There are no anomalies, 100 years is 100 years, the first century is the first 100 years.

It's like saying you're not in your 40th year when you turn 39. You can believe it if you want but you're not right...
Decades and centuries start at the same time, apart from one anomaly where there is no year zero, it just went from 1 B.C. to 1 AD. The 20th century started in 1900, the 21st century was 2000.
Edit. Or at 23:59:59 on 31st December 2000, so as not to confuse it with 00:00:01 on 31st December 20000
Well, it is actually. The number of years that are assumed to have elapsed since the birth of Christ, by definition.

Last edited:
They do start at the same time, but a year later than you seem to think. There are no anomalies, 100 years is 100 years, the first century is the first 100 years.

It's like saying you're not in your 40th year when you turn 39. You can believe it if you want but you're not right...

I agree with your second paragraph. You make a good point when you put it that way. May revise my point of view on this now.

Back