9/11, This is powerful footage to watch.

The bit that gets me is the choice peoole faced, burnt to death or to take their own life in a terrifying way. Makes me shudder. God rest their souls.

I had just got in from school, can remember going into my room and my nana rang and told me to put the news on, second plane hit just as I turned it on. Can remember it line it was yesterday. Went to ground zero last year and it was a completely surreal experience.

School finish early?

Last edited:

I was on the afternoon shift, which quickly turned into measuring taxiway widths and Load Category Group diagrams, getting ready to take civil aircraft turned back from the Atlantic, while also figuring out how the newly reconstituted QRA was going to work. In those days there was just one at Leuchars and that's too far away from London.

Was the QRA just Tonkas then?

I was in my first or second week of Year 7 at school. I remember walking home from school to my nanas house and my dad and nana were watching it on the tele in the living room and I remember them saying the Twin Towers had been hit.

Me and my mate went out later and I remember us discussing the possible impacts on the world later on.

I had just got in from school when it had happened, I couldn't believe what I was seeing. I went to the 9/11 museum whilst in New York last year and it is unbelievable in there and quite moving to see.

A guy I work with was on a flight to the USA whilst it was happening, when he landed at Tampa he was held for hours up a corner of the airfield along with loads of other planes. When the plane came to a standstill the pilot made an announcement over the pa system about what had happened!

The bit that gets me is the choice peoole faced, burnt to death or to take their own life in a terrifying way. Makes me shudder. God rest their souls.

School finish early?

I didn't mean live I meant it was showing the second plane hitting as I turned it on, should have worded it better.

Was the QRA just Tonkas then?

I was in my first or second week of Year 7 at school. I remember walking home from school to my nanas house and my dad and nana were watching it on the tele in the living room and I remember them saying the Twin Towers had been hit.

Me and my mate went out later and I remember us discussing the possible impacts on the world later on.

Aye, the Typhoons didn't come in til later.

Around mid-day I was called to a job down on the Isle of Dogs. I heard reports on the radio about the first strike while I was travelling down there, hoping it was just a light plane and an incompetent pilot. When reports of a second airliner strike started coming in I was down by Canary Wharf, and people were pouring out of the tall buildings and heading for the underground. By the look on their faces, many of them were afraid that something similar was going to happen here. Also, given that most of the district is banking/financial business, I guess many of them knew people that worked in the WTC, or maybe talked to them regularly on the phone. It wasn't exactly panic but the scene at 6.05, with people being directed one way up the street, was very similar.
History will see it as a defining moment of the 21st Century.

I was 9 and in Junior school, we finished at 3ish and I went back to a mates house and seen dust everywhere and then the news went back to the planes hitting and towers collapsing. Went back home about 6ish and my mam and dad were watching the news and never moved all night.

My dad was a posty at the time, finished his shift and turned on the tv, he thought it looked like a good film that he had never seen before, settled down to watch it and took him ages to realise it was reality.

Still haunts me to this day watching it unfold on TV. I was in dock doing repairs when someone said a light aircraft had hit one of the twin towers! (I had been to New York and had food in the windows of the world in the north tower 2 months before) when we had a break we watched it on the telly! Still shocking today how it could have happened!!! I was back in New York in February and the 9/11 museum is heartbreaking!

One of the voice recording of United 93 when they were trying to regain the cockpit and they were saying goodbye to a loved one brought me to tears not ashamed to say

As for the day I'd been on nightshift woke up turned the TV on and watched live as the second one went into the tower and spent the rest of the day glued to the TV.

It was my first week at work, I was 17. Not everyone had internet access at work them days so we all gathered around a lads pc who had access to look at the news.

I’ll be honest I didn’t really know much about the twin towers and I hadn’t heard of bin laden so didn’t really know the significance of it at first. I got home from work and watched the news and I then realised how much of a big deal it was.

I was on holiday from work that week and had the tv on in the background whilst doing some house work. I heard the news in the background but I hadn’t quite comprehended the enormity of it until about 10 minutes later.

I sat watching the news for the next 2-3 days just gobsmacked

Was at a quiz night in a pub filled with expats in Bangkok when the quizmaster said we were finishing early as the Americans there would probably need to get back to their families/apartments. Had no idea what was happening but was peeved as we were in with a chance of winning. Then they put the TV screens on .......

When I eventually got home my (now ex-) wife was sitting on the sofa laughing at the people jumping to their deaths. Thais are nuts.

A lass at work showed me the BBC News website, at that point they had mentioned a plane had hit the Twin Towers. I think it was thought be a small plane at that time, bad news for pilot etc. but didnt think it was anything too severe and didnt think much about it.

Not long after I left work early for an appointment with my chiropractor and entered the reception which had the tv on, by this point the second plane had hit and it was obvious how serious things were. When I got home, just lilke most others on here, I was just captivated by BBC news.

The ship I was on was involved in a military exercise with the yanks off Malaysia at the time. The exercise was cancelled early on as "a bomb" had gone off in the states. We all had a laugh at how the yanks could overreact at something us Brits had put up with for years. When we got alongside in Singapore a day or two later I was in the american px and saw it on the telly.:eek:

I had to ring the bank about something later that day and the lass on the other end just kept saying "stay safe". Thats when i realised the magnitude of the reaction back home.

I had been working with an old German engineer that day.

As I was leaving work to take him back to his hotel, one of the lads said something about a plane crash on the news

I said I'd have a pint with him when we got to the hotel. Sat in the bar and watched it unfolding.
Just didn't seem real.

Was in the house just finished watching neighbours and it broke to the news, I doubt we will ever live through a day like that again. The amount of misinformation on tv was pretty wild, I honestly thought it was the first stages of a world war.

Back