81 Points

I don't see how any Sunderland fan can attempt to justify Parkinson remaining in charge.

- Hes making the same mistakes week in week out
- Seemingly unwilling to give young promising players a chance
- Dull, slow and predictable football
- Adamant that we'll win games 1-0 and a complete lack of realisation that 'one little moment' as he put it after Donny will lose you two points when you insist on settling on a one goal lead
- Failure to address key issues in the side after two transfer windows
- Moaning on about xG despite having a whole summer to bring in a goalscorer, bought two strikers yet to score a league goal
- The MK Dons farce, setting up to stop them playing despite not winning away for 15 months
- His backfoot mentality
- Inability to get anything more than a 45 minute tune out of the team, we either start horridly or come out after HT on the back foot
- Too ready to accept a point in any scenario
- Thinks avoiding defeat means hes doing a good job

I could go on. Phil Parkinson HAS to be sacked as the manager of this club, we're going round in circles with him in charge.

Last edited:
I don't see how any Sunderland fan can attempt to justify Parkinson remaining in charge.

- Adamant that we'll win games 1-0 and a complete lack of realisation that 'one little moment' as he put it after Donny will lose you two points when you insist on settling on a one goal lead
- Moaning on about xG despite having a whole summer to bring in a goalscorer, bought two strikers yet to score a league goal
- The MK Dons farce, setting up to stop them playing despite not winning away for 15 months
- His backfoot mentality
- Inability to get anything more than a 45 minute tune out of the team, we either start horridly or come out after HT on the back foot

I could go on. Phil Parkinson HAS to be sacked as the manager of this club, we're going round in circles with him in charge.
There's not a lot of positive things to say about Parkinson to be honest. After all 81 points would be a worse total than Ross got. I didn't really create the thread for that, but really just trying to see any positivity at all due to recent form and the like as i think lockdown has gotten to me and other people and trying to break negative habits and trying to put some positive spin or ideas/possibilites out there.

Though of course being a Sunderland fan and negativity seem to go hand in hand most of the time!

As it stands, we're on course to get 81 points. So are things really that bad?

Going back from 2018-19 season 81 points would be enough to get the following finishing positions: 6th (One place behind us under Ross...), 4th, 5th, joint 4th and 4th. In fact since the rebrand to League One, 81 points only fails to get you in the playoffs once. The 05-06 season when it would have been enough for 2nd. So maybe if we keep this up we'll be fine.

However keeping good results going seems to be a problem for us. Time to look at the form before the Fleetwood game (for a nice easy 6v6 game comparison).
First 6 games reflected in being on course for 106-108 points.
Next 6 games over a season would put a team on course for 60-63 points. But that'd be ignoring that 6 games had been played, so just using 39 games being left it brings the 106-108 projection down to 66 points.

So I suppose it comes down to one of three possibilities really. Either our current overall form is the true reflection of the team, meaning playoffs should happen, or our early form was the true team meaning we're gonna have a good season or our more recent form is the true reflection meaning bye bye playoffs and hello 4th season here.

Wake up man. Our form over the last 5 or 6 games is relegation stuff. We are going absolutely no where as our manager is dross and our strikers are absolutely shit.

It should never be acceptable for a team going for promotion to have zero wins in their last 5 games.
Christ its 2 wins in our last nine.

That's shite, we play shite, we have a shite manager, the players aren't playing and we have strikers that can't score.

It's bad.
Dear god ! I was already depressed that’s made me worse

There's not a lot of positive things to say about Parkinson to be honest. After all 81 points would be a worse total than Ross got. I didn't really create the thread for that, but really just trying to see any positivity at all due to recent form and the like as i think lockdown has gotten to me and other people and trying to break negative habits and trying to put some positive spin or ideas/possibilites out there.

Though of course being a Sunderland fan and negativity seem to go hand in hand most of the time!

I appreciate that, however look for positivity in the future RE takeover and the potential that has for us as a club as opposed to Parkinson. I can't pull any positives from him having been, being or remaining in charge of this club.

Playoffs would be just about acceptable the first year we were back in League 1 (although when Maja proved to be such a revelation keeping him would have seen us promoted).

Year 2 there’s no real excuses we should have been getting promotion. The league season was curtailed but only die hard optimists could have foreseen promotion.

Year 3 there is absolutely no excuses yet we seem to be going backwards

I appreciate that, however look for positivity in the future RE takeover and the potential that has for us as a club as opposed to Parkinson. I can't pull any positives from him having been, being or remaining in charge of this club.
It's often talked about on the board about our merry-go-round of managers and how they don't get time and all that, but what's just struck me about your post is that if the takeover goes ahead (or one happens in the next few years) it'd be our 5th owner/set of owners in 20 years. Can't decide if it's good or bad that! One the one hand people want to buy us, but on the other don't stick around for long!

- His backfoot mentality

The problem with xG is there isnt a factor included in the formula for strikers who would be outpaced by walking footballers

As it stands, we're on course to get 81 points. So are things really that bad?

Going back from 2018-19 season 81 points would be enough to get the following finishing positions: 6th (One place behind us under Ross...), 4th, 5th, joint 4th and 4th. In fact since the rebrand to League One, 81 points only fails to get you in the playoffs once. The 05-06 season when it would have been enough for 2nd. So maybe if we keep this up we'll be fine.

However keeping good results going seems to be a problem for us. Time to look at the form before the Fleetwood game (for a nice easy 6v6 game comparison).
First 6 games reflected in being on course for 106-108 points.
Next 6 games over a season would put a team on course for 60-63 points. But that'd be ignoring that 6 games had been played, so just using 39 games being left it brings the 106-108 projection down to 66 points.

So I suppose it comes down to one of three possibilities really. Either our current overall form is the true reflection of the team, meaning playoffs should happen, or our early form was the true team meaning we're gonna have a good season or our more recent form is the true reflection meaning bye bye playoffs and hello 4th season here.
Unfortunately we are going backwards. Haven't won in ages and don't look like doing so. Even when we played a side near the bottom of the table with horrendous away form, Milton Keynes made us look second best.

Back