80s memories

Odd colored Dayglo socks to school - With Brown stovepipe parkers with furred trim, we were the cutting edge of fashion. Not getting your haircut for months at a time. Oh and getting the single for "hold a chicken in the air" from spitting image to find that the B side was "i've never met a nice south African" which would probably cause some problems nowadays.

Absolutely this,

haway man great grandma I know I've played football this morning but I've since had a full sunday roast and now your knocking out the corned beef pie, ham and egg pie, fondant fancies and trifles for about 20 people...every sunday :eek::eek:

looking back it was madness as they lived in a small bungalow, had little money but this happened every sunday
Same and it was class, wish every Sunday was like that still

I’d like to have been maybe 8-10 years older for music as I’m a massive fan of bands that were finished by the time I was old enough to go to gigs, but for everything else, the 80’s was perfect. Just the right balance of old school fun and new tech. Plus crowtree was mint, the disco swim in thing on a Friday and the ice rink were class man.
Happy days, nee the wonder today’s kids are depressed living in their social media Groundhog Day.
Crowtree was class. Used to spend evenings and weekends there, “spectating” if not doing anything else: Playing Kung Fu Master and Marble Madness at “The Beach” by the Leisure Pool. Used to try and sneak in under the exit barriers to the right of the pay booths to avoid paying the spectating fee. Once timed it wrong and ran straight into a member of staff at the other side and was promptly turfed out. Happy days!!

Last edited:
We had some class telly in the 80's. Grange Hill, Brookside, Auf Weidersehen, The Tube, early OFAH, The New Statesman,. I thowt the Young Ones was shite mind.
Monkey!

Negotiating the lethal stairs at the Q ball in Durham. Sweat dripping off the ceiling in Klute. Probably met Dom Cummings at some point and missed the chance of launching him into the Wear.
:lol: Klute got voted the worst 'nightclub' in Europe one time, is it even still going?

Last edited by a moderator:
V2000, Betamax and VHS all being around
Hiring videos from the boot of a bloke’s car
Video nasties like the evil dead
Buying my first ever record aged 7, which was Madness- The rise and fall (1982)
Getting a zx spectrum 48k in 1984
10 print “Maygo is cool” 20 goto 10 run on as many computers in Boots as possible
Now, that’s what I call music albums
Nuclear threats and being shit scared
Stock, Aitken and Waterman cornering the charts
MJ being a pop sensation
Queuing for the pictures to see Rocky IV, only to find it had sold out so waiting in the queue down Holmeside again for the next showing
Breakdancing on a roll of Lino
Electronic music getting massive
Tie dye tshirts
Wallabies
Fighting with the Hylton castlers on bunny hill- well running away or towards them really

10 print “Maygo is cool” 20 goto 10 run on as many computers in Boots as possible
MJ being a pop sensation
Queuing for the pictures to see Rocky IV, only to find it had sold out so waiting in the queue down Holmeside again for the next showing
Tie dye tshirts
Wallabies
Fighting with the Hylton castlers on bunny hill- well running away or towards them really
Queuing for the ABC. My kids can’t believe it when we tell them we would queue for hours in the rain to see a film then sometimes not get in. Can remember Tony Bonehead in his purple blazer counting down the queue then telling the unlucky people behind it was full. The tension as he counted towards you was palpable!!

MJ being a pop sensation
Tie dye tshirts
Wallabies

The V2000 was our first video recorder (rented) and I was probably the only person at school who owned a V2000, everybody else owned (or rented) a VHS and they were baffled when I explained we could record on both sides of a tape, by turning the tape over and sticking it back in the machine when one side was full.

We probably got a ZX Spectrum 48K around the same time, I can remember Dixons in Durham had an offer for a bundle that came with some games and a printer (which only used small bog roll sized silver paper). Before that we had a Commodore 16 and decided to "upgrade" to the Spectrum. Mind you before the mighty Commodore 16, the game console we owned was the truly awesome Phillips Videopak....

Logon or register to see this image

We weren't allowed to use them (the Spectrum included) on the colour TV downstairs and had to use them all on a black & white portable TV in our bedroom. Which was quite challenging when we played Steve Davies Snooker on the Speccy and had to work out the colour of the balls on a black and white TV. :lol:

The New wave of British Heavy Metal and the resultant/consequent global cultural, social and musical shift that made the Beatles and the Sex Pistols look like third rate turns at High Pit Social Clurb.
The V2000 was our first video recorder (rented) and I was probably the only person at school who owned a V2000, everybody else owned (or rented) a VHS and they were baffled when I explained we could record on both sides of a tape, by turning the tape over and sticking it back in the machine when one side was full.

We probably got a ZX Spectrum 48K around the same time, I can remember Dixons in Durham had an offer for a bundle that came with some games and a printer (which only used small bog roll sized silver paper). Before that we had a Commodore 16 and decided to "upgrade" to the Spectrum. Mind you before the mighty Commodore 16, the game console we owned was the truly awesome Phillips Videopak....

We weren't allowed to use them (the Spectrum included) on the colour TV downstairs and had to use them all on a black & white portable TV in our bedroom. Which was quite challenging when we played Steve Davies Snooker on the Speccy and had to work out the colour of the balls on a black and white TV. :lol:

"Steve is going for the pink ball - and for those of you who are watching in black and white, the pink is next to the green." Ted Lowe. BBC TV

Last edited by a moderator:

We weren't allowed to use them (the Spectrum included) on the colour TV downstairs and had to use them all on a black & white portable TV in our bedroom. Which was quite challenging:lol:
"and for those of you who are watching in black and white, the pink is next to the green":lol:

My first computer was a Commodore VIC 20 and if I'm not mistaken it came with a mighty 3.5k of RAM!
"Steve is going for the pink ball - and for those of you who are watching in black and white, the pink is next to the green." Ted Lowe. BBC TV
Beat me to it:evil::lol:

Back