8 Year old - First console

PTR

Striker
The bairn has just been talking about what she'd like for Xmas (picking things from Santa's lists - the Smyths catalogue!) and she's mentioned a VR headset. Well, she said a single game, but its one that needs a headset.

Not sure how they work, but I imagine they need to be connected to a console anyway? And regardless, that seems like a better idea for the longer term.

Got me thinking, what console to get her. Do I go for a last-gen PS4 or Xbox (sorry, entirely lost track of their numbering system). Or something else? The current gen stuff has been out for ages though, so the last gen must be a bit crap by now? But £500 is a fair chunk for a 8 year old isn't it?

The other option is to turn on Shield Link to my PC, which apparently lets me play any games on my shield, but runs it off my gaming PC. Which - if this actually works - would be higher quality than the current gen consoles too and the games are ah-hem, significantly cheaper

Anyone got any thoughts?

On setting up nvidia gamestream now.

Fingers crossed
On setting up nvidia gamestream now.

Fingers crossed
Works flawlessly.
Just tested rdr2. Playing in 4k with my wired xbox controller.

I can see me setting this up quite nicely.
Seems I can install emulators on my pc too and play those games as well, for anything that doesn't work natively on the shield.

Last edited:
You can get the Quest 2 headset for like £400 new or £250-£350 used on ebay depending on luck, doesn’t need a console as it just runs off the headsets internal system.

You can get the Quest 2 headset for like £400 new or £250-£350 used on ebay depending on luck, doesn’t need a console as it just runs off the headsets internal system.
I was gonna say this like, we got lucky and got in when they were £300 when they were Oculus branded, but my now 12 yr old has played with it loads last couple of years - its really good like, and games are free/cheap

Can you beam to TVs with that?
And can you have a 2nd controller for 2 player games?
There are two versions. A handheld only one and once which has a dock which allows you to play one the TV. Yeah you can attach multiple controllers.
Comes with a docking station that hooks up to TV and the paddles can be use das individual controllers but they're a bit on the small size.
It's pricey but the Nintendo switch pro controller is really good for adult hands.

Last edited:
There are two versions. A handheld only one and once which has a dock which allows you to play one the TV. Yeah you can attach multiple controllers.

It's pricey but the Nintendo switch pro controller is really good for adult hands.
I have a 8bitdo controller. Would that sync up as a 2nd controller?
Is that the one owned by Facebook?
Its a console in its own right? Or is it streaming from the internet?

I'll watch some youtube videos, could be a decent solution tbh
Oh, added advantage, I'll be finally able to play Half Life Alyx !!

Last edited:
As has already been said - Nintendo Switch.
For a child that age, you simply can't get the fun and quality of games anywhere else. It also has the benefit of playing on the TV or taking it anywhere they want.

I have a 8bitdo controller. Would that sync up as a 2nd controller?

Is that the one owned by Facebook?
Its a console in its own right? Or is it streaming from the internet?

I'll watch some youtube videos, could be a decent solution tbh
Oh, added advantage, I'll be finally able to play Half Life Alyx !!
Should do it you have a USB dongle thing.

I got my now 8 year old a Switch when he was 6, loves it and yep you can display on the TV - you can pick second controllers up for pennies tbf. Hes also got a Xbox series S which he has no bother with and a One S at his grandads.

If its the kids first console the switch would be my choice - even my 5 year old has a switch lite and theres plenty of games for that age group

I'm really going to struggle to make peace with £45-60 for a switch game mind, wow.

Haven't paid anything like full price for a game for 20 years.

I'm really going to struggle to make peace with £45-60 for a switch game mind, wow.

Cdkeys and instant-gaming are the sites to use mate, get the annual family online memberships for about 20 quid aswell

Cdkeys and instant-gaming are the sites to use mate, get the annual family online memberships for about 20 quid aswell
That online membership, looks like its just emulation of NES/SNES games and some Mega Drive? Is there more to that? If not, I can do that on the Gamestream anyway, for free.

The bairn has just been talking about what she'd like for Xmas (picking things from Santa's lists - the Smyths catalogue!) and she's mentioned a VR headset. Well, she said a single game, but its one that needs a headset.

Not sure how they work, but I imagine they need to be connected to a console anyway? And regardless, that seems like a better idea for the longer term.

Got me thinking, what console to get her. Do I go for a last-gen PS4 or Xbox (sorry, entirely lost track of their numbering system). Or something else? The current gen stuff has been out for ages though, so the last gen must be a bit crap by now? But £500 is a fair chunk for a 8 year old isn't it?

The other option is to turn on Shield Link to my PC, which apparently lets me play any games on my shield, but runs it off my gaming PC. Which - if this actually works - would be higher quality than the current gen consoles too and the games are ah-hem, significantly cheaper

Anyone got any thoughts?
Xbox series S with gamepass. Perfect for kids and a decent stream of new games.

That's why the Xbox with gamepass is great, plenty of games without having to pay much.

Last edited:
That online membership, looks like its just emulation of NES/SNES games and some Mega Drive? Is there more to that? If not, I can do that on the Gamestream anyway, for free.
If she wants to play against her mates online she needs it, also a few games require it I think
Xbox series S with gamepass. Perfect for kids and a decent stream of new games.

That's why the Xbox with gamepass is great, plenty of games without having to pay much.
The gamepass is a fantastic thing mind

If she wants to play against her mates online she needs it, also a few games require it I think

The gamepass is a fantastic thing mind
She's only 7, almost 8. I don't think any of her friends play games really.
I've tried to get her into old consoles a few times, but tbh, we just never have the time. By the time I finish work, there's about 2 hours to do something, and then we have our tea, tidy up and then its about time to start getting the twins bathed, school books read etc.
Hard to find time.

Suppose I'm leaning towards the Switch for her to play on her own ^^ there.
Especially as I can play AAA games on the big telly via Gamestream. That's got its downsides for sure though, as it completely ties up my PC and realistically I'd need to be there to put it on for her.
Quest 2 looks really good too though. Just not sure how much it would really get used long term. I mean, ** I ** want one so I can play Alyx, but that's not a good enough reason :lol:
tbh, from a standing start, its a lot to take in! I haven't been a console gamer since the Xbox360, and even then that was a one-off. Been a PC gamer since about 1993!

Last edited:
She's only 7, almost 8. I don't think any of her friends play games really.
I've tried to get her into old consoles a few times, but tbh, we just never have the time. By the time I finish work, there's about 2 hours to do something, and then we have our tea, tidy up and then its about time to start getting the twins bathed, school books read etc.
Hard to find time.

Suppose I'm leaning towards the Switch for her to play on her own ^^ there.
Especially as I can play AAA games on the big telly via Gamestream. That's got its downsides for sure though, as it completely ties up my PC and realistically I'd need to be there to put it on for her.
Quest 2 looks really good too though. Just not sure how much it would really get used long term. I mean, ** I ** want one so I can play Alyx, but that's not a good enough reason :lol:
tbh, from a standing start, its a lot to take in! I haven't been a console gamer since the Xbox360, and even then that was a one-off. Been a PC gamer since about 1993!
We like the switches mind, like I say he has a normal one and me and the littlest have switch lites so when they're at the grand parents we still like a laugh on mario kart. I hate the Xboxes though cos the little shit wipes the floor with me on fifa

You might be surprised with the friends aswell most of the boys school friends have Xboxes and PlayStation's and he's just turned 8

Last edited:

Back