8 Days to the Moon and back

You started the insults old son so we’ll leave it there because that says far more about you than me
Enjoy the sunshine

I’d hate to think what kind of reaction I would get if I dared to suggest that there may not be a Santa Claus or Tooth Fairy

All I said was that after 50 years of witnessing changes in technology that I was starting to struggle with the idea of the technology of 1969 being capable of such a massive feat of half a dozen return trips to the moon

Not sure how that makes me breathtakingly arrogant on any level but if some dimwitted prick wishes to start a row then he will get one back

We have not been back to the moon despite the vast advances in technology largely due to cost and risk versus reward. The Apollo missions were all about beating the Russians, they were very high risk ventures that would not be flown today.

It is relatively straightforward to reach the moon, you don’t need super computers but they’d help. You just need lots of money, determination and guts. The USA had all of these in the 60’s, that’s why they got there

We have not been back to the moon despite the vast advances in technology largely due to cost and risk versus reward. The Apollo missions were all about beating the Russians, they were very high risk ventures that would not be flown today.

It is relatively straightforward to reach the moon, you don’t need super computers but they’d help. You just need lots of money, determination and guts. The USA had all of these in the 60’s, that’s why they got there

It was the era of Hillman Imps and Vauxhall Vivas - my point was that we weren’t exactly producing earth shattering land based transport so I’m sure some people can be forgiven for expressing the occasional doubt that the technology of the day was advanced enough for moon shots
Likewise satellite transmissions were still fairly fragile in 1969 so a continuous TV and Radio signal to and from the moon just seems a little unlikely given that outside broadcasts from football matches were still in their infancy
No arrogance (breathtaking or otherwise) just a nagging doubt that the technology existed in 1969 to enable such projects

Imagine your life being so f***ing desperate that you have to resort to believing in wibbletastic conspiracy theories, believing you are so superior to everybody else because you reckon can think independently. :lol::lol::lol::lol:
Expressing doubts after 50 years about something that you have always believed in hardly constitutes believing in conspiracy theories
Enjoy the sun

Last edited:

Yeah right!

It was the era of Hillman Imps and Vauxhall Vivas - my point was that we weren’t exactly producing earth shattering land based transport so I’m sure some people can be forgiven for expressing the occasional doubt that the technology of the day was advanced enough for moon shots
Likewise satellite transmissions were still fairly fragile in 1969 so a continuous TV and Radio signal to and from the moon just seems a little unlikely given that outside broadcasts from football matches were still in their infancy
No arrogance (breathtaking or otherwise) just a nagging doubt that the technology existed in 1969 to enable such projects

Expressing doubts after 50 years about something that you have always believed in hardly constitutes believing in conspiracy theories
Enjoy the sun
We lost signal with Eagle loads of times during the descent to landing. You can hear it in the recordings.

We lost signal with Eagle loads of times during the descent to landing. You can hear it in the recordings.
To be honest all I’ve ever said about the subject is that the technology available at the time was so embryonic it has brought me to a point where I’m questioning it for the first time - a teasmade and a stylophone were cutting edge technology but hey we can go to the moon and back on numerous occasions - I don’t do conspiracy theories, I’m just a bit of a cynical old git

To be honest all I’ve ever said about the subject is that the technology available at the time was so embryonic it has brought me to a point where I’m questioning it for the first time - a teasmade and a stylophone were cutting edge technology but hey we can go to the moon and back on numerous occasions - I don’t do conspiracy theories, I’m just a bit of a cynical old git
Listen to the podcast series 13 minutes to the moon. There’s a couple of episodes on the technology and it’s fascinating. They literally sewed the programmes into the spaceship. :D

Yeah he was asked about that when interviewed. Seemed unconcerned at the prospect.

The thing I got from their pre and post trip interviews was the complete professionalism from all three of them.
There was no ego, and whilst I imagine they got on, there didn’t seem too much camaraderie. It was just total focus on the job.
If Collins has to try and make it home on his own I got the impression it was ‘just all part of the job’
Likewise if Armstrong and Aldrin got stranded.

Last edited:
Really looking forward to this. Just going to and watch it on iPlayer now.

I mentioned on another thread the podcast “13 minutes to the moon” is outstanding.
Cheers. Just downloaded the first two episodes of the podcast for my flight tomorrow.

Why? Its a lifeless rock millions of miles away man :lol:
It's 239,000 miles, nowhere near millions.

Last edited:
An amusing story but unfortunately until we start too see some of these aliens shaking hands with humans or walking on the moon then it remains pure sci fi

However it is surely Wrong to believe that we are the only intelligent beings in the entire solar system
Its pretty fair to say we are the only intelligent beings in the solar system, any other life forms in our solar system will be very simple lifeforms, maybe on one of the outer moons of saturn or jupiter

Last edited:

That's like asking did Britain really have steam powered Battleships when everyone was travelling around by horse.

As difficult as it is to land on the moon it is still easier than faking it.

Last edited:

There is also the aspect of how much time spent on the moon outside the capsule. The first one was just a few hours, though the last couple of missions spent 3 days. You need time to do a lot of useful science, for time you need living space, more food, oxygen etc. That requires more fuel, which requires bigger rockets etc etc. Just down to size there was a limit to the amount of useful science each mission could do. If we are to go back, I see it as being in a very different sustainable way.

Enjoy the sun
Fly-by-wire stealth bombers have been around for a few decades, but I still have to drive a ford focus that can be detected by radar. Are stealth bombers real?

Last edited:
You started the insults old son so we’ll leave it there because that says far more about you than me
Enjoy the sunshine

I’d hate to think what kind of reaction I would get if I dared to suggest that there may not be a Santa Claus or Tooth Fairy

All I said was that after 50 years of witnessing changes in technology that I was starting to struggle with the idea of the technology of 1969 being capable of such a massive feat of half a dozen return trips to the moon

Not sure how that makes me breathtakingly arrogant on any level but if some dimwitted prick wishes to start a row then he will get one back
Just remember that you are the one who descended into foul-mouthed and abusive personal insults less than worthy of the school playground. I’ll leave it there.

Back