8 Days to the Moon and back

After NASA beat the Soviets to the Moon, and went back a few times, they realised it cost too much and just wasn't sustainable. The Apollo programmes were mothballed and the money went on other things. There are also arguments that it was a great distraction from Vietnam and once the Americans began to withdraw, the Apollo programmes didn't serve as propaganda anymore.

We have to remember how much it cost to put two blokes on the moon for less than a day. In the meantime humans have put multiple space stations into orbit, created a reusable space plane, invented countless items we all use today which came from space programmes and so forth.

I'd love to see humans back on the Moon or even on Mars, if NASA manage to follow their proposed plans it won't be that long until it happens.
Radiation man. The levels up there are like living in a microwave. You would have to be a mile underground or you'd be deed by teatime.

I was only a kid in 1969 and I’ve believed it was true all my life until very recently - I just can’t see how we had the ability to land on the moon and come back given the primitive technology of that time - Colour TV was in it’s infancy - car audio’s best shot was an 8 track player, Computers with the processing power of of less than an Apple Watch needed to be housed in small townships yet we sent a series of rockets nearly half a million miles on return trips to the moon - it just doesn’t stack up to me I’m afraid
You can’t see it, so it can’t be true. Your stupidity and arrogance is breathtaking.

A witty and original response. The point is, many people have no idea how far away the Moon is from the Earth, and many other basic facts about this topic, yet give us their cocksure and ignorant opinions anyway.

Last edited:
You can’t see it, so it can’t be true. Your stupidity and arrogance is breathtaking.

A witty and original response. The point is, many people have no idea how far away the Moon is from the Earth, and many other basic facts about this topic, yet give us their cocksure and ignorant opinions anyway.
Believe me, Immingham is a million miles away from anywhere.

Then again, Kubrick did outfit Danny in The Shining with a meticulously and elaborately woven Apollo 11 gansey, for one of his textbook screen nods..
Darius is doing costume design now is he? Shame that. I always hoped he come back to coach at safc.

why have we never gone back.....
Same reason people nivver gan back to a Ryhope...

It’s different distances at different times iirc.

I’d also recommend an Aussie fillum “ The Dish” for a warm hearted semi fictional account of the more human side of the space race. It really is a great great fillum. One of my all time top ten and I’m old enough to remember watching a MOTD style edited highlights prog at school a couple of days after the landing.

I went through a space race phase myself of around 20 books around the time of the original publication of the Moondust book in which the writer visits everyone who ever walked on the moon. I think it’s been updated. Highly recommended btw. Half a dozen or so USSR kosmonaut books anarl. I may dig The Right Stuff dvd out later this week.

Last edited:

I never said it didn't happen, I merely said that for the first time I'm starting to have doubts
So according to you people aren't entitled to express doubts - that suggests to me that your stupidity and arrogance is beyond breathtaking old son - you obviously are committed to taking the art of masturbation to a new level - I'm surprised you don't spend more time on the politics board - you'd be more suited there

Last edited:
I never said it didn't happen, I merely said that for the first time I'm starting to have doubts
So according to you people aren't entitled to express doubts - that suggests to me that your stupidity and arrogance is beyond breathtaking old son - you obviously are committed to taking the art of masturbation to a new level - I'm surprised you don't spend more time on the politics board - you'd be more suited there
Touchy

Touchy ? possibly

Are you a f***ing idiot? absolutely

Would you say the same thing to a man of religion who had doubts in later life about his faith ?

I expressed some doubts about something that I have believed in all my life and that makes me breathtakingly arrogant in your opinion

In my opinion that makes you an idiot

Have a pleasant evening :)

Touchy ? possibly

Are you a f***ing idiot? absolutely

Would you say the same thing to a man of religion who had doubts in later life about his faith ?

I expressed some doubts about something that I have believed in all my life and that makes me breathtakingly arrogant in your opinion

In my opinion that makes you an idiot

Have a pleasant evening :)
I think once again you have demonstrated your touchiness, stupidity and arrogance, not to mention your filthy lamguage.

I think once again you have demonstrated your touchiness, stupidity and arrogance, not to mention your filthy lamguage.
I'm touchy, arrogant, foul-mouthed - however I probably have an IQ that dwarves yours and I have the ability to change my opinion when presented with evidence of doubt

If you wish to be an easily offended intellectual pygmy who is incapable of reasoned thought then that is your choice
Have an enjoyable evening

Imagine your life being so f***ing desperate that you have to resort to believing in wibbletastic conspiracy theories, believing you are so superior to everybody else because you reckon can think independently. :lol::lol::lol::lol:

I'm touchy, arrogant, foul-mouthed - however I probably have an IQ that dwarves yours and I have the ability to change my opinion when presented with evidence of doubt

If you wish to be an easily offended intellectual pygmy who is incapable of reasoned thought then that is your choice
Have an enjoyable evening
You missed ‘stupid’ when you accepted my description of you, but that’s the salient one.

The existance of any God is not supported by a single shred of evidence, the moon landings are supported by an overwhelming amount. The two vastly are different things.

You missed ‘stupid’ when you accepted my description of you, but that’s the salient one.
You started the insults old son so we’ll leave it there because that says far more about you than me
Enjoy the sunshine

The existance of any God is not supported by a single shred of evidence, the moon landings are supported by an overwhelming amount. The two vastly are different things.
I’d hate to think what kind of reaction I would get if I dared to suggest that there may not be a Santa Claus or Tooth Fairy

All I said was that after 50 years of witnessing changes in technology that I was starting to struggle with the idea of the technology of 1969 being capable of such a massive feat of half a dozen return trips to the moon

Not sure how that makes me breathtakingly arrogant on any level but if some dimwitted prick wishes to start a row then he will get one back

Last edited:

Back