700 calorie diet

I have decided to try a 700 calorie diet (3 shakes) this week. I normally walk 2 hours a day in one go to get my 10000 steps in.

Can I safely walk this distance each day while only consuming 700 calories does anyone know? Google gives conflicting advice on this. Cheers.

I have decided to try a 700 calorie diet (3 shakes) this week. I normally walk 2 hours a day in one go to get my 10000 steps in.

Can I safely walk this distance each day while only consuming 700 calories does anyone know? Google gives conflicting advice on this. Cheers.
Three shakes are 700 calories? That’s all you’re having? I’d guess you’d get to a point where you’d feel pretty dodgy. Your body needs fuel.

Three shakes are 700 calories? That’s all you’re having? I’d guess you’d get to a point where you’d feel pretty dodgy. Your body needs fuel.

Yeah they’re 233 calories a shake apparently. Not something I would be looking to do long term but just wondered if I would have the willpower to do it for a week and see how much weight I lost. Not sure if walking a long distance on such a diet is a good idea or if I’m likely to pass out or something.
Best shakes -
Logon or register to see this image
That looks bloody good!

Yeah they’re 233 calories a shake apparently. Not something I would be looking to do long term but just wondered if I would have the willpower to do it for a week and see how much weight I lost. Not sure if walking a long distance on such a diet is a good idea or if I’m likely to pass out or something.

That looks bloody good!
Personally, I wouldn't go on shakes for a full week if that is indeed your plan. Just my (greedy) gut feeling though...

Eat real food (I.e nothing processed), not too much and mostly plants.

Restrict your eating window to 8hrs a day and the weight will drop off. I can’t imagine shakes are a sustainable way of keeping weight off.
You can do all of that, but you must be in a calorie deficit, eating in a 8 hour window or lots of plants does not burn bodyfat, a calorie deficit does.

Just take a step back and relax is my advice. These extreme diets are often born from a pang of guilt or frustration.

You need to realise in order to take control of your eating habits in the long term, this is not the answer. Learn about energy balance (cals in/cals out), satiety and devise an eating plan that you can stick to but won’t make your life miserable. I promise you, you will bounce from this, to something else, to something else. Weight loss is a marathon, not a sprint.

keep the protein high
Don’t be scared of carbs (or fat for that matter)
Plenty of veggies
Plenty of water

tools like my fitness pal can help you track your cals and macros but can be a bit overwhelming and a bit of a faff at first but it’s part of the learning process. Learning what cals and macro split works for you. They are invaluable imo.

Not sustainable and you will feel shite for it.

Sort your daily expenditure out, eat in a deficit, you will lose weight, it isn't rocket science.

Just take a step back and relax is my advice. These extreme diets are often born from a pang of guilt or frustration.

You need to realise in order to take control of your eating habits in the long term, this is not the answer. Learn about energy balance (cals in/cals out), satiety and devise an eating plan that you can stick to but won’t make your life miserable. I promise you, you will bounce from this, to something else, to something else. Weight loss is a marathon, not a sprint.

keep the protein high
Don’t be scared of carbs (or fat for that matter)
Plenty of veggies
Plenty of water

tools like my fitness pal can help you track your cals and macros but can be a bit overwhelming and a bit of a faff at first but it’s part of the learning process. Learning what cals and macro split works for you. They are invaluable imo.
Briliant advice, 700 calories is far too low.

1) I reckon it would be virtually impossible to do over a week.

You’ll burn off more than 700 cals if you’re walking for 2 hours so you’ll end up in a ~2,500 calorie deficit each day for 7 days.

You’d keel over.

2) even if you could do it, it’s not a long term option. I assume you’re doing this to lose weight and not as a way to test how mental your body is - the quicker you lose weight, the quicker it goes back on. You’ll have to stop the 700 cal diet at some point and as soon as you do you’ll be back to square one.

3) if you’re doing it as a form of fasting, just look at intermittent fasting and do it properly. IIRC @Harry Angstrom does this - maybe he could give you advice

That is 100% fine. Google professor Taylor 800 calories.
1) I reckon it would be virtually impossible to do over a week.

You’ll burn off more than 700 cals if you’re walking for 2 hours so you’ll end up in a ~2,500 calorie deficit each day for 7 days.

You’d keel over.

2) even if you could do it, it’s not a long term option. I assume you’re doing this to lose weight and not as a way to test how mental your body is - the quicker you lose weight, the quicker it goes back on. You’ll have to stop the 700 cal diet at some point and as soon as you do you’ll be back to square one.

3) if you’re doing it as a form of fasting, just look at intermittent fasting and do it properly. IIRC @Harry Angstrom does this - maybe he could give you advice
I don't fast, as such anymore, but will go 16 hours without eating at least once a fortnight.

Last edited:
Weight loss should be a process.
Whilst I have no doubts you’ll probably lose lots of weight you’ll find it goes back on quite quickly.
Can’t comment on the safety of it like.

Long term controlled calorie deficit with the correct balance of good carbs, proteins and fats is the only long term safe solution in my opinion. Base calories can be lowered or increased depending on your activities but you will always achieve your goals with a well thought out and disciplined food plan.
That is 100% fine. Google professor Taylor 800 calories.

I don't fast, as such anymore, but will go 16 hours without eating at least once a fortnight.

Out of curiosity, do you think there is much more of a benefit from 16 to 24 hours? I dont mind the odd fast and its quite good for you, i think?

Last edited:

Back