60 people shot in mass shooting at Indianaopolis FedEx facility

It would need a senate vote of 60-40 to introduce effective guns laws because of the filibuster
10 GQP senators are not going to vote against the party whip & the NRA
Biden can do very little through executive power. He's already passed what actions he can take
It is a political argument, but when there's minority rule as there is in the senate, nothing will change, even though the majority of the population wants stricter gun control.
Anyone trying to throw Biden or Obama under the bus for these shootings is just ignorant or a bigot, the blood is fairly and squarely on the hands of the pro life GQP

I love and admire your optimism but really, no.

A man going into a primary school and killing 20 6-7 year olds didn't change their gun laws in any meaningful way. A man shooting from a hotel window in Las Vegas killed 60 and injured over 400, and that didn't either.

There's something deeply broken in that country and it's not just about gun laws.
Literally nothing will change gun laws in America unless the shootings are repeatedly aimed at the elected officials.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not calling for that to happen. But unless their lives are under threat, they won't do a thing about it. Lobbying & financing from the pro-gun side is too important to them

It would need a senate vote of 60-40 to introduce effective guns laws because of the filibuster
Would you mind explaining that to me please?
I thought the filibuster was just when someone was allowed to ramble on for hours on end. I didn't know there was an element where it affected the actual voting?

I thought the filibuster was just when someone was allowed to ramble on for hours on end. I didn't know there was an element where it affected the actual voting?
The filibuster hasn't been about talking a bill out of time for decades at this point. Now all someone needs to do is declare that they're filibustering and you suddenly need 60 votes to pass a bill.

See this: Filibuster in the United States Senate - Wikipedia

Last edited:
They could make a good start by just banning the sale of guns.

That would then only leave the small issue of the 350 million guns still out in circulation.

America and gun laws, or lack of them reminds me of a lyric from The Fight Song

The death of one is a tragedy
The death of millions is just a statistic

As a country, it's like they've stopped caring.

Quote attributed to Stalin but doesn't seem to be much evidence he actually said it. Unless he wrote the song.

Clinton and Obama failed, Biden will too.

There are so many things deeply wrong with the US. They cannot be fixed without huge systemic change, I’m talking Democrats with supermajorities in both houses and a progressive president...but that will never happen again
They need to abolish the Upper House in the same way that we should abolish the House Of Lords. A second chamber blocking the legislation of the democratically elected government is not effective democracy. I know all of the checks and balances arguments but at the very least these upper hosues should be advisory only and should not be able to block legislation put forward by the elected government otherwise nothing ever gets done

A man going into a primary school and killing 20 6-7 year olds didn't change their gun laws in any meaningful way. A man shooting from a hotel window in Las Vegas killed 60 and injured over 400, and that didn't either.

There's something deeply broken in that country and it's not just about gun laws.
Wonder if it’d take a shooting in the Senate or House of Representatives to change anything.

The overcome the filibuster you need 6o votes, otherwise the opposition party will just continually block the legislation

The only time you can bypass the filibuster is with budgetary legislation, such as the covid relief bill or Biden's proposed infrastructure bill, & even then you only have so many times you can use it and its at the discretion of the senate parliamentarian
So the democrats can't pass the HR1 voting rights bill or any gun control because the GQP will use the filibuster to delay the legislation in committee
The democrats have been as guilty as the GQP for using it when it suits them

I'm no expert and get most my knowledge is US politics & news from the Maddow show, but the articles below might explain it better

Can’t they amend it to the right to arm bears?
They could but its need bi-partisan support, there lies the problem
The democrats can't even get support for background checks
They need to abolish the Upper House in the same way that we should abolish the House Of Lords. A second chamber blocking the legislation of the democratically elected government is not effective democracy. I know all of the checks and balances arguments but at the very least these upper hosues should be advisory only and should not be able to block legislation put forward by the elected government otherwise nothing ever gets done
On that point, the senate is split 50:50
In terms of population for senate seats the split is something like 60:40, democrat to GQP, there's not a chance the GQP will accept any reforms, its also why they'll fight tooth and nail to stop DC becoming a state as its #2 senators would be democrat. Its also why voter suppression is a big issue for them, there's risk they'd lose seats in Texas, Florida & North Carolina if everyone could vote and principally why they brought the laws in; in Georgia to get back the two seats Trump lost them

Last edited:
yep, 61 killed and over 400(!) injured in the Las Vegas shooting and no meaningful gun control came from it.. the country is fucked. slight glimmer of hope with a democrat in the WH but really not sure if there will be any real change.
Was staying in a time share just up the road when that happened . The next day I could see the shattered window of the gunman’s room from my apartment.

The horse has bolted unfortunately, BIden is introducing some sensible gun laws that are supported by the majority. Trump made it easier to get bump stocks and AR15s etc. BIden is trying to close that loophole

Back