5th November..1st xmas tree spotted.

Yes, a nano with a little 1.3” OLED screen

After years of putting it off, I got started learning to program an ardiuno early this year. ‘It’s easy’ said my daughter’s (no) long term boyfriend.

Well, yes, I can see how easy it is when you’re mid twenties, but I’m 52 and have avoided programming anything other than BASIC all my life! :lol: I love electronics, but was never a code fella.

That said, after a few days of banging my head, trying to iron out niggles in syntax, etc, I managed to use an arduino to control a PLL in a receiver, displaying channel and frequency info on a 16*2 LCD, and use a rotary encoder to go up/down through the frequencies.

Then I had to put it aside for a few weeks and I’ve flippin’ forgotten it all!

They’re tremendously cool little gadgets, though, aren’t they! The possibilities are practically endless. I’m sure I’ll get back on the bike!

After years of putting it off, I got started learning to program an ardiuno early this year. ‘It’s easy’ said my daughter’s (no) long term boyfriend.

Well, yes, I can see how easy it is when you’re mid twenties, but I’m 52 and have avoided programming anything other than BASIC all my life! :lol: I love electronics, but was never a code fella.

That said, after a few days of banging my head, trying to iron out niggles in syntax, etc, I managed to use an arduino to control a PLL in a receiver, displaying channel and frequency info on a 16*2 LCD, and use a rotary encoder to go up/down through the frequencies.

Then I had to put it aside for a few weeks and I’ve flippin’ forgotten it all!

They’re tremendously cool little gadgets, though, aren’t they! The possibilities are practically endless. I’m sure I’ll get back on the bike!
It is worth sticking with if you enjoyed doing it. My tip would be to stick as many comments in your code as you can. Every time you stop and think ‘How do I......’, put in there ‘check rotary encoder’ or whatever. I cant remember half the stuff I have written.

There's been a one up for the last couple of weeks in someones front window as you're leaving Ferryhill on the A167 just after the BP garage on the way to Newton Aycliffe. An assessment of their mental health may be required.

one went up on 30th october just before the BP garage. goes up around the same time every year

I spotted about 30 yesterday.
But they were at our Festival of Christmas Trees at The Lowry, so that was probably a bit like shooting fish in a barrel

How long has this been a thing?

I remember that every Wednesday evening we used to visit my grandparents and from the start of December we used to pass the time on the trip seeing how many Christmas trees we could spot in windows. It was probably the excitement of being a kid and looking for signs that Christmas was coming. At the start of December they were very few, but by around the 10th, it was every house.

Are people now doing it as early as they can so they can be the first to post their Christmas decorations up on Facebook?

It is worth sticking with if you enjoyed doing it. My tip would be to stick as many comments in your code as you can. Every time you stop and think ‘How do I......’, put in there ‘check rotary encoder’ or whatever. I cant remember half the stuff I have written.

Yeah, comments make a huge difference! I’d get completely lost without them. I definitely enjoyed it, and getting it to do something important to my hobby was a bit of an adrenaline rush! I’ve done a lot of hacking other people’s code around as well. It taught me a great deal.

When I look back at my code I’m thinking ‘wtf, I wrote that?’ Then I remember most of it was cut and paste!:lol:

Yeah, comments make a huge difference! I’d get completely lost without them. I definitely enjoyed it, and getting it to do something important to my hobby was a bit of an adrenaline rush! I’ve done a lot of hacking other people’s code around as well. It taught me a great deal.

When I look back at my code I’m thinking ‘wtf, I wrote that?’ Then I remember most of it was cut and paste!:lol:
fuck you on about?

Back