5G Mobile Internet has gone live

I remember years back when Orange first set up at Patchway. I used to do a lot of training for their engineers at a converted farmhouse a couple of miles away towards the Severn estuary. There was no signal in the rooms so they'd traipse across the sheep field doing the classic wave the phone in the air till you got a bar of signal then try to make their calls.

We used to head down the M5 to Devon & Cornwall most weekends, and just got used to turning the phone off once past the Avonmouth bridge as all of Somerset onwards was just a blackout for coverage back then. Sounds like things haven't improved too much over the years, though I do get good coverage down on the beaches these days.

Once you’re out in the sticks it’s hit and miss, you might get a good 4g signal then loose it for ages...... a total pain when on work calls.

Yeah it’s class. 220mb a second but networks only give you 5gb a month so you’re out of data after 10 seconds. Let’s them charge you more to top it up. Plus the range on 5g is about 3 metres so you have to have a box for it on every lamppost in the country. When we all get brain cancer from the radiation there will be no one left to use it.

As my title suggests I’m in Somerset and there are so many blank areas, 3G would be a dream but I guess it isn’t cost effective. I live in a large town and can’t get a signal in most rooms. Also guess the price will hike up yet again.

Was down there for our hols lovely place .. stayed in Cheddar Wood

Back