55 years ago today, 15 year old Derek Forster made

• Thread starter Deleted member 6830
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6830

.... his debut for Safc in their 3-3 draw with Leicester City at Roker Park:eek::eek:.

In goal at the opposite end, only Gordon Banks! :D

Monty was injured, and Sandy McLaughlin was unavailable hence the 15 y. o. (nearly 16 tbf) making his debut. No pressure!!!!

What was match like @Grumpy Old Man ??

Ps as always, thanks to the magnificent www.statcat.co.uk

Worked with Derek at the leisure centre, top bloke, and massive hands.

I always thought we got beat 2 0 on his debut
It was 3 3

Last edited by a moderator:
My dad gave me his old autograph book as a kid and Derek Foster’s signature is in there.

I need to see if I can find it because I’ve got a few Rangers and West Indies cricket signatures in it as well.

It was our first game back in Division One and I think we scored first ( George Mulhall ) but it ended up 3-3.
Apparently after us he played for Charlton and Brighton but only made 30 first team appearances in total (18 league games for us)

.... his debut for Safc in their 3-3 draw with Leicester City at Roker Park:eek::eek:.

In goal at the opposite end, only Gordon Banks! :D

Monty was injured, and Sandy McLaughlin was unavailable hence the 15 y. o. (nearly 16 tbf) making his debut. No pressure!!!!

What was match like @Grumpy Old Man ??

Ps as always, thanks to the magnificent www.statcat.co.uk

I wasn't there - my mother wouldn't let my Dad take me until I was older. My first match was later that season, on Good Friday against Wolves.

22 August 1964, first Match of the Day was Liverpool 3 Arsenal 2.
The next week it was Chelsea 3 Sunderland 1, highlights around 40/50 mins, in those days MOTD was just that, one game. It's on youtube.

8 years at Sunderland and only 18 appearances , suppose Monty was to blame for that. Only 5'9" according to Wilkipedia, wonder how tall he was when he debuted at 15 and a half?

Back