50 Years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have I really seen this somewhat reclusive businessman behaving like a real fan, holding his head in his hands in disappointment or jumping out of his seat, arms raised and yelling in celebration?

Please God, can I really dare I hope again….?

Bump

I read this briliiant post earlier today. Top article by the OP.

Rgearding all the chat about selling Hendo and so on, I think the key to our potential major success in years to come is pure emotional involvement by the ice cool Ellis Short.

He must be proud as punch of Sunday's win. I know he was not there but I believe his wife and son were. We need him to do the best thing for SAFC rather than making purely balance sheet decisions.

Go for it ES and keep / build on our best talent.

I am in the 50 year club too. I spoke to the wife while watching THE game a second time and commented that I truly believe that to be the best performance of my lifetime. Did not win us anything of course so the 73 cup game still must take 1st place. It would be wonderful if there really is more to come, soon. Still buying green bananas so there is a chance.

Another one in the 50 year club. The great lost chances were 1964, 1973, 1977 (Rowell Arnott Elliott) and 2000. I too never thought we could recover from 2003 as quickly as this but the foundations are being created for something special. All on Quinny's magic carpet? Off we go.........

I'm in the 50 year club too and I dare to hope despite the realities of the past. Would love to see us 'go for broke' (not financially) with an exciting, attacking approach against all opponents - let's have less draws and more take-your-breath away moments - there've been precious few over my half-century. Let's not sell Jordan Henderson - selling Colin Todd didn't help us progress one inch.

Another one in the 50 year club. The great lost chances were 1964, 1973, 1977 (Rowell Arnott Elliott) and 2000. I too never thought we could recover from 2003 as quickly as this but the foundations are being created for something special. All on Quinny's magic carpet? Off we go.........

Yeah, should have included 1977...that last three months of the season were quite a ride.
In some ways that was the worst, 'cos it wasn't us that screwed ourselves that time. Not so much a false dawn as that bastard Jimmy Hill drawing the curtains.

Looking back to the 15 point season, its mental to think how far we have come in such a short space of time. If after portsmouth at home that season somebody had told you that 5 years later all of this would be happening at the club they would have been locked up in a lunatic asylum.

eternaly greatfull to niall quinn, without him taking over im convinced we would have been relagated again to league 1.

Funny you mention this game. This for me was the game I walked away from the ground, got into my Dads car and just laughed. SAFC were so shit it was almost comical.

I agree with the OP although I don't have as many years on the clock.

Things have never looked as good for SAFC.

I have been watching Sunderland since 1960, a 50 year roller-coaster ride that in truth has been a ride with few peaks. That 1973 (I was there!) represents the pinnacle of that 50 years is a massive disappointment for a club with the history and potential of this one.

I have never been able to understand why, within that same period, teams from the North West have been so dominant when the potential for success for those from the North East is the same.

To those youngsters on here (you know who you are) who are quick to castigate the apparently miserable, negativity of the pessimistic old fart posters(they know who they are!) I just hope you have more to cheer about when you look back over your own half centuries of following the lads. After a while, like me, you’ll not dare to hope too much, because it hurts too much when the hope is continually dashed.

When we were relegated in 2003 I reluctantly accepted that I had witnessed the best three consecutive seasons that I was destined to see in my lifetime. I had dared to hope as the new millennium approached that this was it, this was our time. We had a fantastic new stadium representing a fresh start and a bright new future. No longer would we be the plucky underdogs or perennial yoyos, we could compete at the top table and would do so for many years to come.

For me that relegation was as low as I have ever been, even worse than the 1987 relegation to division 3. I was sure that the best opportunity we’d had for a sustained period of real success had been within our grasp, had been lost, and would never be seen again. The 15 point season in 2006 (did that really happen?) only added weight to that conclusion.

And yet, despite all that, once again I can’t stop the hope rising….

Do we really have a team who can thrash the current champions, unbeaten in their own back yard, and playing on the back of 9 clean sheets?

Are we really unbeaten against the teams who finished 1 to 7 the previous season?

Have we really bought a striker on the shortlist of WORLD footballer of the year?

Do we really have a 20 year old who’s been at the club since he was 7 about to make his debut for England?

Do we really have a manager who recognises young talent and gives it a chance to bloom, who recognises unfulfilled talent and lets it express itself, who can spot a bargain in the transfer market and have the courage to follow through?

Do we really have one of our finest ex players working his socks off with charm, enthusiasm, clarity of purpose and total empathy with the fans as Chairman of this club?

Has he really been able to persuade a hardnosed, businessman to invest millions in the team and at the same time bring financial stability to the club?

Have I really seen this somewhat reclusive businessman behaving like a real fan, holding his head in his hands in disappointment or jumping out of his seat, arms raised and yelling in celebration?

Please God, can I really dare I hope again….?

Good Post mate really enjoyed reading it,

First game Roker park Sunderland v Blackpool 1952 we lost 0-2 i think But never seen such a all round performance as Chelsea on Sunday each and every player give his all.How many would not get 10 out of 10

My 50 years is up in August 2011. Yes Chelsea was a fine performance -one of the best I have seen. Patience is still needed there will be a couple of setbacks along the way but I am convinced that it will be a story of steady progress that will establish us as a long term top peremiership club. Full credit to the current owner and of course the great man himself NQ.

Couple of words of advice for our chaps after 50 years of close observation ....I am no expert but...

"Keep the bliddy ball on the floor and you cannet gan rang."

My first game was in the mid 50's and beginning with our first relegation in 1958 it's been an up and down experience ever since..
I watched the Chelsea game here in China, alone, the middle of the night on a fairly decent stream.
I didn't jump up and down when the first two goals went in, inside I was pleased as punch, but I knew that 'this was Sunlun' and we would, most likely, throw it all away ....my previous experiences had taught me to be cautious.
When Joe Cole gifted us our third, through Richardsons pressure and Wellbecks finish something inside me made me sit up and take notice of what a wonderful performance I had witnessed.
I will still be cautious in my hopes for the future, but we do now appear to have a much stronger foundation in place, in order to 'kick on' than I can ever remember ..... talk of England international honours for example....... Henderson, Bent, Cattermole even Turner....... certainly a strange feeling which I have never had (SKP and Gray excluded).

Yep - I am of similar vintage, and I've been saying for a while now that the club is set up better now than it ever has been. That game... quite as good as it gets.

Mind you, I bet we all have the fans moment when we think - if we can't do it now, then when will we? :eek: But that moment passes quicker than it used to... ;)

Maybe there should be some type of award for supporting Sunderland for 50 years. The freedom of Hendon or something.

Maybe a complimentary brain scan?

When I count my grandad and my dad..this has gone on longer than a century.

auld gits thread but spot on, never the less.

i am in my 40th year of service.

is there a medal or certificate for that?

Great post, only 33 years for me but seen a few false dawns followed by crushing lows.

IF we can can get to say 35points by end of year I really think we may just do it this season. Uncle Ellis & SNQ will release some more funds to ensure it happens.

The points are there to be won from those fixtures......but as ever it's still a very big IF.

Fantastic post by the OP, sums up how most Sunderland fans are feeling atm, as he points out it's been a long time coming but hopefully now we're on our way! :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back