50 and nifty health strategy

This is just like hardcore erotic fiction this like.
:lol: You wait until I try Pilates.

More like a barbara cartland novel with freestein as the dashing young
Well hung hero.
Thank you but I am middle aged and hung like a gnat ;)

Interesting thread. I often think about when is the time to slow down or alter my training.
A part of it is a realisation that my slim frame isn’t suited to lifting heavy weights, plus I am in a car or at a desk for about 45 hours a week.

I’m still going to do some HIIT, strength training etc. and in some ways I am more active than since I was in my 20s.

I think at some point you feel more mortal than ever and start to adjust your diet and life in general.

Last edited:

Peaks and troughs with me, at the minute its a massive peak and training like a dervish, eating sensible, have not had a drink since the freebie at the monty suite for the scunthorpe game and feeling on top of the world. As for mortality, longetivity etc, i look at lads who are doing some form of exercise regime versus those who are not and imo the lads training look way much better. Example, work colleague, approaching 50, was about 3 stone overweight and out of breath etc. Now 2 years later he has lost that weight and is running half marathons all over the country. He is off to inverness the weekend for a competition. So,as long as i can do it i will but not doing without drink but just curtailing it for a while.

Peaks and troughs with me, at the minute its a massive peak and training like a dervish, eating sensible, have not had a drink since the freebie at the monty suite for the scunthorpe game and feeling on top of the world. As for mortality, longetivity etc, i look at lads who are doing some form of exercise regime versus those who are not and imo the lads training look way much better. Example, work colleague, approaching 50, was about 3 stone overweight and out of breath etc. Now 2 years later he has lost that weight and is running half marathons all over the country. He is off to inverness the weekend for a competition. So,as long as i can do it i will but not doing without drink but just curtailing it for a while.
Abstaining from booze makes a massive difference.

I often wonder how strong/shredded I could be if I didn’t abuse my liver quite so regularly.

Those imperial stouts won’t drink themselves though.
Could you have competed at a decent level? Powerlifting?

I had a read about stouts and porters, it’s quite an interesting subject. 9% ABV blimey.

I am starting to crack now, turned down 2 possibly cracking doo’s this week due to abstaining. Both times i was looked at as though i had 2 heeds, what? Your off the drink????
Can’t you drink shandies or limit yourself for the more important social events? You don’t need to be a hermit. I had 4 shandies at burton last week and was home for 6.30.

My routine at one point was to drink a 4 pack of Stella with the Saturday takeaway, I stopped and switched to lemonade with cordial or vodka. Now it’s just black currant squash.

Last edited:

I had a read about stouts and porters, it’s quite an interesting subject. 9% ABV blimey.

Probably not, when you consider there are 83kg juniors benching over 200kg in the GBPF.

I didn’t start training seriously until I was older than a ‘junior’ class powerlifter.

Can’t you drink shandies or limit yourself for the more important social events? You don’t need to be a hermit. I had 4 shandies at burton last week and was home for 6.30.

My routine at one point was to drink a 4 pack of Stella with the Saturday takeaway, I stopped and switched to lemonade with cordial or vodka. Now it’s just black currant squash.

Haven’t drank all weekend, been doing work on the new kip. Me prepping walls for painting and my girlfriend is sanding and painting a dining table/chairs I got for 15 quid in a charity shop.

When she goes at 3 I’m going to get down the pub and have maybe 4 pints, then go home and have most of the Oktoberfest bottles from Beer 52 this month :lol:

Last edited:

Yeah, have no problems with drinking shandies mate,just want to stick out for a couple of more weeks and i will be pleased with the reduction in bodyfat, albeit its not all down to abstaining.

Interesting thread. I often think about when is the time to slow down or alter my training.

As a middle aged bloke I made the decision to cut my running days down & replace them with yoga/Pilates/limber 11 & exercise bike or rowing machine & it's really paid dividends. I'm really enjoying my remaining running days again when running had become a chore for the last couple of years.

Good morning buff dudes!

I will be 50 in a few years and I would like to live as long as possible whilst maintaining my Greek god like torso.

I currently do strength training 3 times a week and also do a bit of cardio. My current weight is ok and I don’t have too much lard on me.

Going forwards I have recognised that my flexibility is shite. Would it be a good idea to follow a plan such as this?

Day 1: yoga or Pilates.
2: strength training
3: rest
4: strength
5: yoga/Pilates
6: rest
7: cardio

Any ideas will be considered, thank you.

Started yoga at the start of the year and it’s basically fixed my back problems.

Good to hear that it’s worked for you. My Mrs is booked in for 1-2-1 yoga via the nhs for persistent back pain. I am going to sit on a chair in the corner and make observations.

Aye I went through both the nhs and private(nhs waiting list takes the biscuit!). I Just do the yoga on YouTube like, lass called Brett Larkin has loads. It’s got me back to work and exercising again so it’s definitely worth a look

Back