[4th Test] South Africa v England

Well that escalated quickly since tea.
Terrific series win away regardless of opposition quality.
Wood and archer could be a handful in Sri Lanka, short sharp busts, 12 overs a day

Think the last two performances have been amongst the most encouraging I've seen from England in a while - better understanding of how you are more likely to win test matches away from home.

I think the team is shaping up. The batting line-up for me is there apart from one last place - at number three. Maybe Crawley can fill it, he has looked the part at times but we need to see more. I guess we need to see more long-term from Sibley too, but he's looking good.

At number seven, it's time to look to Foakes because Bairstow still has his technical glitch. Buttler for me is done.

The bowling attack is encouraging for me. Not sure how we'll go about things in the sub-continent, but away from there we can field two versions of the correctly balanced, all-court attack:

- swing/seam bowler: Anderson or Woakes;
- new ball bouncy line bowler: Broad or Archer;
- skiddy aggressive pace bowler: Wood or Stone (wrapping Wood up and getting Stone fit will be crucial for Australia)
- off-spinner who can hold a bat: Bess or Ali.
- magic-making all-rounder: Stokes or Curran.

By no means the finished article, but on the up. For maybe the first time, I'm starting to feel less neurotic about a future without Anderson or Broad.

Last edited:
That's beside the point.

In terms of the result it won't make any difference. It would take a herculean effort to get close to that on a better wicket.

In terms of re-learning how to play test cricket and building the confidence and mindset to bat for 3+ sessions, it was a huge backwards step.

It was an excellent opportunity, without scoreboard pressure, for the young lads, Denly and Buttler to get some test match batting practice. How do you select a team for SL based on that hit and giggle effort?

Nasser is also spot on about the lack of rest for the bowlers.
It's a game of opinions mate and they got the job done ;)

Think the last two performances have been amongst the most encouraging I've seen from England in a while - better understanding of how you are more likely to win test matches away from home.

I think the team is shaping up. The batting line-up for me is there apart from one last place - at number three. Maybe Crawley can fill it, he has looked the part at times but we need to see more. I guess we need to see more long-term from Sibley too, but he's looking good.

At number seven, it's time to look to Foakes because Bairstow still has his technical glitch. Buttler for me is done.

The bowling attack is encouraging for me. Not sure how we'll go about things in the sub-continent, but away from there we can field two versions of the correctly balanced, all-court attack:

- swing/seam bowler: Anderson or Woakes;
- new ball bouncy line bowler: Broad or Archer;
- skiddy aggressive pace bowler: Wood or Stone (wrapping Wood up and getting Stone fit will be crucial for Australia)
- off-spinner who can hold a bat: Bess or Ali.
- magic-making all-rounder: Stokes or Curran.

By no means the finished article, but on the up. For maybe the first time, I'm starting to feel less neurotic about a future without Anderson or Broad.

Agree with pretty much all of that, except I do think we need a bit more resilience in our opening partnership

Agree with pretty much all of that, except I do think we need a bit more resilience in our opening partnership

They've just racked up our longest run of consecutive 50 partnerships, so its coming. I think Burns/Sibley with Crawley at number three is something I'd like to see given a chance to bed in. Certainly, they approach test cricket with the right mindset.
Well that escalated quickly since tea.
Terrific series win away regardless of opposition quality.
Wood and archer could be a handful in Sri Lanka, short sharp busts, 12 overs a day

Yes, not sure how to approach this series now. I certainly don't want to flay Archer/Wood to death on those decks, but I'm not sure we have the weapons to approach it like we did last time.

Last time we had Rashid, Ali and Leach all bowling well. This time none of those three will be there, most likely - though why not in Rashid's case? Surely a case for trying to persuade him and/or Ali to play?

Bess is ok, but he's probably behind those three on helpful wickets. And who else? Big questions ahead.

Last edited:
Owt that knocks them two twats off their perch is fine by me. After these two it's Steve Bruce (sorry lads) and Phil Brown, being the only two managers to get Hull City promoted to the top flight and that :cool:

I'm not going to be critical in fact England deserve nothing but praise for how they have won this series after the illness in the camp and poor preparations. There are definitely tougher tests ahead than a poor SA team but in Pope we have a batsman that will be able to play against anyone anywhere and openers who have at least found their feet in test cricket.

I'm not going to be critical in fact England deserve nothing but praise for how they have won this series after the illness in the camp and poor preparations. There are definitely tougher tests ahead than a poor SA team but in Pope we have a batsman that will be able to play against anyone anywhere and openers who have at least found their feet in test cricket.

Yeah I agree ,I hate been slightly negative and was very positive of the England side during the Ashes series, however a big factor in this series win has to be the opposition, South Africa been a very poor side and us winning the toss in every game has been a big factor in the end result imo.

That said that should take away the praise for batsman like Pope, but do feel Sibley and Crawley had they been the openers in the Ashes against the Aussie attack in English conditions they may not have the results they have had in this series and that it was right they were given their debuts in this series rather than the Ashes.
However either way it's bloody great we have won a series away from home soo well

Last edited:
Noticed Gower was on the TMS podcast today. Hope that’s a sign he’s joining them this summer.
Talk sport grinds on me.

Last edited:

Back