[4th Test] South Africa v England

Think we been picky for picky sake with a few of these posts, suppose there is a argument for batting slowly, but these are out of the game and we will destroy them, their batting is horrendous and will get no where near it.

The game was over after our first innings.

They certainly do especially after the comments that it was a disastrous tour after the first test!!

I will refer you to the first post on the CT test which I posted. Think you also had a bet on a series win too on the same thread.

What are we doing? We’re 2-1 up in the series. There are 2 days to go.

make sure we don’t lose first. Anyone remember Shai Hope?

I think cricket is moving past the ‘series result’ mentality and now treating each game as an event of its own with 24 points at stake.

If you look at it that way then the aggressive tactics today make more sense. It’s probably only an Ashes series where protecting a series lead will enter the mindset imo.

Some good words by Nass at the end, criticising the approach on the basis of the purpose for declaring being to rest the bowlers more and let the pitch go. Then was rather critical of root not seeing the day out - think it does make a difference as an opener having to field, even for 1 over, before batting.

I agree that it’s unlikely to make a difference today, but need to be more professional against better sides

Don't think it matters tbh,

South Africa aren't getting near that total.

That's beside the point.

In terms of the result it won't make any difference. It would take a herculean effort to get close to that on a better wicket.

In terms of re-learning how to play test cricket and building the confidence and mindset to bat for 3+ sessions, it was a huge backwards step.

It was an excellent opportunity, without scoreboard pressure, for the young lads, Denly and Buttler to get some test match batting practice. How do you select a team for SL based on that hit and giggle effort?

Nasser is also spot on about the lack of rest for the bowlers.

That's beside the point.

In terms of the result it won't make any difference. It would take a herculean effort to get close to that on a better wicket.

In terms of re-learning how to play test cricket and building the confidence and mindset to bat for 3+ sessions, it was a huge backwards step.

It was an excellent opportunity, without scoreboard pressure, for the young lads, Denly and Buttler to get some test match batting practice. How do you select a team for SL based on that hit and giggle effort?

Easily drop denly and Buttler

That's beside the point.

I don’t think Denly or Buttler were out to any ‘hit and giggle’ effort. They were simply undone with poor shot selection/execution.

The top 4 all went out to play orthodox test cricket, once that platform was set it gave stokes downwards (exception of Buttler who was playing for his test career) to play with freedom.

Id get the argument Stokes came in at 40-3 and played like that along with rest but were 100-3 when he arrived and game was secure.

Not really that fussed about last night. One thing is that it doesn't give the Saffers a chance to use the roller again this morning. We've seen in all 4 innings that wickets have been hard to come by at the start.

Back