4G Mobile Broadband for gaming

gyanclan

Central Defender
Has anyone had any experience with 4G broadband for gaming? Looking into getting it as the Fibre coverage in my area is crap and seen you can get quite good speeds using 4G. Only thing is when you look at some of the unlimited packages they can get a bit pricey. Anyone know roughly how much data it uses per month just gaming for a few hours per week? Also if anyone know any good deals can you point me in the right direction?

Cheers

Depends what you're playing.

Something like hearthstone will only take 20MB an hour, flight simulator is more like 700MB an hour. Generally you'll rarely see higher than 300MB an hour.

Gaming takes less data per hour than most streaming services.

You need to consider game updates too. The last cyberpunk patch was 16gig on the PS4 for example, updates will kill your allowance faster than gaming.

I wouldn't get broadband that wasn't unlimited personally, would rather have slower download speeds than hitting a cap.

How bad is your coverage speed wise? I was on sub-30Mb until a couple of years ago and didn't really have any issues with the bairn and I gaming while the Mrs streamed Netflix etc.

I'm on about 70Mb now and the only difference is in download speeds, lag etc isn't noticably different (which makes sense, my house isn't any closer to the exchange).

Depends what you're playing.

Something like hearthstone will only take 20MB an hour, flight simulator is more like 700MB an hour. Generally you'll rarely see higher than 300MB an hour.

Gaming takes less data per hour than most streaming services.

You need to consider game updates too. The last cyberpunk patch was 16gig on the PS4 for example, updates will kill your allowance faster than gaming.

I wouldn't get broadband that wasn't unlimited personally, would rather have slower download speeds than hitting a cap.

How bad is your coverage speed wise? I was on sub-30Mb until a couple of years ago and didn't really have any issues with the bairn and I gaming while the Mrs streamed Netflix etc.

I'm on about 70Mb now and the only difference is in download speeds, lag etc isn't noticably different (which makes sense, my house isn't any closer to the exchange).

The highest I can get is 30mb. That is what I get with Sky but it is horrendous for online gaming getting 400ms+ ping at times on a wired connection. Had issues for over a year but they haven't done anything about it. Been holding out for a new fibre company to roll out but been waiting for them to install since June and its getting tedious now! Just looking at all the options, figured it would be pointless going from one 30mb/s to another 30mb/s max which is why i was looking at the 4g.

I have unlimited 4G broadband from three. I pay £18 a month for unlimited but current price for new customers is £22 so still cheaper than most BB providers.

I haven't used it alot for online gaming but I have had no problems when I have used it. Below is the speedtest results I have just got. I check it regularly and it has never been below 30 Mbps down and can get as high as 70 Mbps. Obviously this can massively vary depending on signal i your area but I think it is great for the price. My old connection with plusnet was 12-17Mbps. I can't get fibre at my address. Three is proper unlimited by the way. No fair useage caps or any of that bollocks.

Logon or register to see this image

Last edited:
I have unlimited 4G broadband from three. I pay £18 a month for unlimited but current price for new customers is £22 so still cheaper than most BB providers.

I haven't used it alot for online gaming but I have had no problems when I have used it. Below is the speedtest results I have just got. I check it regularly and it has never been below 30 Mbps down and can get as high as 70 Mbps. Obviously this can massively vary depending on signal i your area but I think it is great for the price. My old connection with plusnet was 12-17Mbps. I can't get fibre at my address. Three is proper unlimited by the way. No fair useage caps or any of that bollocks.

yep, this is the best way, plenty of threads on hotukdeals about using an unlimited 3 deal with one of the Huawei 4g routers

lots of people say its works well, but of course is dependant on 3 coverage in your area, and how much network traffic there is

I was looking at that but when I put my postcode in it says it’s unavailable in my area not sure why with it being 4g. It is available 2 mins down the road at my old address

Back