47 years ago tonight, 16.1.1973..Notts County are

Luna17

Winger
... beaten 2 nil in an FA Cup 3rd replay at a cold RP infront of over 30,000 with big Dave and Denis Tueart getting the goals.

Sunderland rode their luck somewhat down at Meadow Lane in the original game with Monty making an unbelievable save from Les Bradd. Iirc, Monty said it was better than his save at Wembley (takes some believing that mind) - anyone who was there care to comment?

Reading, with King Charlie as manager awaited us in Round 4 with the tie at RP. It didn't quite go to plan, but turned out okay in the end.

Quiz question, who was Readings keeper that day at RP and who got Safc's equaliser?

I was there, but was so pissed I can barely remember anything about the game, except going mental when we got the late equaliser. Got back on the bus and everyone was delirious, as you could feel that something big was going to happen. Happy days

Sad thing..the replay..couple of Boldon lads were killed hitchhiking back from Reading that night..lived close by to one of the lads,,Boldon drive in West Boldon I think..the other lad was from down the Colliery.. Always seemed even sadder that after travelling down to Reading midweek they never got to live out what that victory eventually turned into.

Players turned up for the funerals, mind. Good on them.

Long time ago. Time passes.

Last edited:
Steve Death's death occurred in 2003. I wonder if the headline was "Death, Reading: Eulogy"?
Played all his pro games bar one for Reading and, unusually for a goalkeeper of some repute, stood only 5'7".

Sad thing..the replay..couple of Boldon lads were killed hitchhiking back from Reading that night..lived close by to one of the lads,,Boldon drive in West Boldon I think..the other lad was from down the Colliery.. Always seemed even sadder that after travelling down to Reading midweek they never got to live out what that victory eventually turned into.

Truly tragic that mate.

Steve Death's death occurred in 2003. I wonder if the headline was "Death, Reading: Eulogy"?
Played all his pro games bar one for Reading and, unusually for a goalkeeper of some repute, stood only 5'7".
Chis Turner was canny for a midget goalkeeper.

I was there, but was so pissed I can barely remember anything about the game, except going mental when we got the late equaliser. Got back on the bus and everyone was delirious, as you could feel that something big was going to happen. Happy days
Was there and as you say , a feeling that it was the start of something that couldn't be stopped. 47 year ago fekk me I'm owld.

Was there and as you say , a feeling that it was the start of something that couldn't be stopped. 47 year ago fekk me I'm owld.

For me, we were nothing special until THAT game against Man. City.
Only then did I seriously think: "We could be onto something here".

Aged 16 and 17. The driver died too. One of them (Kevin Bottoms) was a distant relative. The accident happened near Chester-Le-Street.

Vic Halom,Vic Halom,Vic Halon lala,lala... brilliant memories...still reckon biggest FA cup upset ever from where we started... Southampton, Wimbledon and Wigan don't come close
Southampton certainly don't.

Wimbledon achievement was very good, esp beating that Liverpool side in the final, but weren't they in the top league at the time? Iirc they won at skunk park in Rd 5?

Wigan also in top division at time, and played in an era where status of fa cup had declined with loads of teams playing weakened sides. Again, a good achievement, but can't compare with Safc's.

We beat the best of the best whilst a tier 2 side. Nothing beats it so far in fa cup history... nothing.

Wimbledon achievement was very good, esp beating that Liverpool side in the final, but weren't they in the top league at the time? Iirc they won at skunk park in Rd 5?

Wigan also in top division at time, and played in an era where status of fa cup had declined with loads of teams playing weakened sides. Again, a good achievement, but can't compare with Safc's.

We beat the best of the best whilst a tier 2 side. Nothing beats it so far in fa cup history... nothing.

Last edited:
... beaten 2 nil in an FA Cup 3rd replay at a cold RP infront of over 30,000 with big Dave and Denis Tueart getting the goals.

Sunderland rode their luck somewhat down at Meadow Lane in the original game with Monty making an unbelievable save from Les Bradd. Iirc, Monty said it was better than his save at Wembley (takes some believing that mind) - anyone who was there care to comment?

Reading, with King Charlie as manager awaited us in Round 4 with the tie at RP. It didn't quite go to plan, but turned out okay in the end.

Quiz question, who was Readings keeper that day at RP and who got Safc's equaliser?
Funny enough cant remember montys save but do remember a great Porterfield tackle.I was behind montys goal it was 90th min and countys lively winger steve carter was closing in on goal and porter who couldnt really tackle produced a great block.

Back