44 years ago, Jimmy Monty nearly scuppers our survival bid....

Luna17

Winger
........as he defies everything Safc throw at him until SupaMel (rip) finally beats him to earn Safc a vital one nil win in the 83rd minute.

The ovation Monty got when he ran out with his Birmingham team mates at 2.55 was awesome , and it was very emotional when he ran to the FE for the second half. "Jimmy Jimmy Monty la la la la la la la" boomed out despite him defying us in the first 45.

Absolute legend, super keeper and lovely man.

I was right behind the Fulwell goal. I can still see the ball slowly looping over his head. I thought at the time he was deliberately slow to react. Dare I say that of a true professional and gentleman.
We looked safe after that game.

I was right behind the Fulwell goal. I can still see the ball slowly looping over his head. I thought at the time he was deliberately slow to react. Dare I say that of a true professional and gentleman.
We looked safe after that game.
If you think about it Jimmy would have spent much of his life as a goalkeeper in training with players in SAFC shirts shooting at his goal & him determined to stop the ball going in the net. The sight of a SAFC player having a shot in a game wouldn't have caused him to hesitate he would have been more used to that experience than anything else. Besides I think good goalkeepers instinctively want to prevent the ball going in to the net if the don't they would never be much good

If you think about it Jimmy would have spent much of his life as a goalkeeper in training with players in SAFC shirts shooting at his goal & him determined to stop the ball going in the net. The sight of a SAFC player having a shot in a game wouldn't have caused him to hesitate he would have been more used to that experience than anything else. Besides I think good goalkeepers instinctively want to prevent the ball going in to the net if the don't they would never be much good
Fair comment.
Actually when I Iooked at the footage, not having seen the goal for all of 44 years , the header from Holden would have got past most keepers.
But I bet Monty got a bit of wind up after the game from his team mates !

........as he defies everything Safc throw at him until SupaMel (rip) finally beats him to earn Safc a vital one nil win in the 83rd minute.

The ovation Monty got when he ran out with his Birmingham team mates at 2.55 was awesome , and it was very emotional when he ran to the FE for the second half. "Jimmy Jimmy Monty la la la la la la la" boomed out despite him defying us in the first 45.

Absolute legend, super keeper and lovely man.
was it not "Jimmy Monty na na na" ??

Back