40 years ago, Safc go top with their 3rd successive win in 4 days...

Luna17

Winger
....... as on a balmy Tuesday evening, Shrewsbury Town are put to the sword at scenic Gay Meadow.

The away contingent wasn't as numerous as the previous DAY at Wrexham, but there were still at least 2500 in attendance, a good few of whom had stayed over in Rhyl.

Pop opened early doors only for Trevor Birch to equalise. Soon after the restart, wee Stan bagged what turned out to be the winner infront of all of us.

Shrewsbury put us under some pressure, but the Lads held out for a great win.

Top spot wasn't held for long though as draws home to Orient the following Saturday and at B. Rovers not long after, meant that to gain promotion, we had to win our last game.

More on that later....

Incredible though, 3 wins - 2 away from home, in the space of 4 days with virtually the same players. Who'd believe that these days???

....... as on a balmy Tuesday evening, Shrewsbury Town are put to the sword at scenic Gay Meadow.

The away contingent wasn't as numerous as the previous DAY at Wrexham, but there were still at least 2500 in attendance, a good few of whom had stayed over in Rhyl.

Pop opened early doors only for Trevor Birch to equalise. Soon after the restart, wee Stan bagged what turned out to be the winner infront of all of us.

Top spot wasn't held for long though as draws home to Orient the following Saturday and at B. Rovers not long after, meant that to gain promotion, we had to win our last game.

More on that later....

Incredible though, 3 wins - 2 away from home, in the space of 4 days with virtually the same players. Who'd believe that these days???
Was that Orient game when Rowell did his ACL?

More on that later....

I was just a kid but remeber it well.

Im sure we signed Joe Hinnigan in January and he was never in a losing side that season.

As I say on all these threads I feel owld. :)

Was that Orient game when Rowell did his ACL?
No that was 78/79

Im sure we signed Joe Hinnigan in January and he was never in a losing side that season.

We signed JH after a poor loss at PNE 2-1.
We looked gone, but then put a great run together following his signing. Funny old game.

Last edited:
75-76. Home record p21 w 19 d2
79-80 Home record p21 w15 d6

Fantastic.

Home record 1979/80 was 16-5-0 I'm sad enough to remember it without checking.

That record 1975/76 is unbelievable, beat everyone at home that season except the 2 Bristol clubs.

You're right. Joe Hinnigan was the lucky mascot.

Back