4 day break in that London…

Forgot we also did the science museum on the Saturday morning before going to the match. All kids love the science museum and you cannot go far wrong with that or the natural history museum which is next door. Problem with the museums is time can pass you by as there is so much to see and do.
My eldest daughter is 30 in a few months and she still talks about that weekend.

I also bought her a new Sunderland away shirt and did not tell her about it till the Saturday morning. Got myself one and put it on and said do you like it. I could see she wanted one too and that's when I gave her hers.

Last edited:

The walk from Buckingham palace through Green Park onto Hyde Park, up towards the Diana memorial fountain and , if so desired, Kensington Palace and Gardens - would be a nice (and free) morning or afternoon out. Plenty of stalls or sit down coffee / light bite places in HP as well, loads of people with picnics etc. I thought the wooden elephant display was decent as well.

The weekend we went was the day we beat QPR 3-1 coming from behind and also the same day the two Newcastle players got sent off for fighting each other v Villa. We thoroughly enjoyed watching that with our take away in the hotel at the end of the night:lol:

It was also the weekend the pope died.

The walk from Buckingham palace through Green Park onto Hyde Park, up towards the Diana memorial fountain and , if so desired, Kensington Palace and Gardens - would be a nice (and free) morning or afternoon out. Plenty of stalls or sit down coffee / light bite places in HP as well, loads of people with picnics etc. I thought the wooden elephant display was decent as well.

thats pretty much our plan tomorrow, the kids are knackered from the last few days so having a slower day. Might head back to Covent Garden later on and watch a street act or 2.

The Zoo.
The DLR run out to City Airport I love. Especially at the front of the train. It’s when I first realised the future had arrived in the U.K.
If you went up in the London Eye during the day last time try it on a night this time, Saturday nights generally good as once it gets dark there’s fireworks going off all over London.
So errrh yeah try the London Eye again, you just nivver know who’ll you see. First time I did it there was me and the ex in with no one else but a youngish American couple and their bairn. Joel and Frances iirc, nice couple. Strange but I felt as if I’d seen them before somewhere before.;)

Last edited:
The Zoo.
The DLR run out to City Airport I love. Especially at the front of the train. It’s when I first realised the future had arrived in the U.K.
If you went up in the London Eye during the day last time try it on a night this time, Saturday nights generally good as once it gets dark there’s fireworks going off all over London.
So errrh yeah try the London Eye again, you just nivver know who’ll you see. First time I did it there was me and the ex in with no one else but a youngish American couple and their bairn. Joel and Frances iirc, nice couple. Strange but I felt as if I’d seen them before somewhere before.;)
I went to the Eye and Kate Moss was directly in front of us in the queue.

Regrettably there is no more to this story of any interest.

I went to the Eye and Kate Moss was directly in front of us in the queue.

Regrettably there is no more to this story of any interest.
Apart from her posting about why you’re really called Big Jeff on a supermodels forum obviously.
thats pretty much our plan tomorrow, the kids are knackered from the last few days so having a slower day. Might head back to Covent Garden later on and watch a street act or 2.
Knackered! Knackered? Well up the sight seeing then. No pain no gain in the tourist game.

Last edited:
Does any of the London folk have any recommendations for a decent family restaurant around Shaftesbury Avenue way? Kids are young (5 and 7) so perhaps a decent Italian or something, that would also keep our lass happy (decent glass on white wine) and feeling as though she’s been out?

debated just doing wahaca or similar in covenant garden, but not sure if that feels like they are a bit too quick to kick you out.

cheers in advance.

If the weather is nice then the Princess Diana fountain is nice to cool down in. Short walk from the National History Museum too.

the lads spent an hour or so splashing around yesterday, weather was great so I had a bit of a paddle as well. Only shit part was they wouldn’t let us in with alcohol, after buying a pint at the nearby shop. Could easily have stayed longer but we had a table reserved elsewhere.

Does any of the London folk have any recommendations for a decent family restaurant around Shaftesbury Avenue way? Kids are young (5 and 7) so perhaps a decent Italian or something, that would also keep our lass happy (decent glass on white wine) and feeling as though she’s been out?

debated just doing wahaca or similar in covenant garden, but not sure if that feels like they are a bit too quick to kick you out.

cheers in advance.
IF its still open then The Rainforest Cafe is on Shaftsbury avenue

Any recommendations for a couple with no kids? Nowt touristy would prefer something more along the lines of some live music and some drink and that

We're down at bank holiday end of the month and got all day Sunday to ourselves

Back