4/5 with bookies for promotion???

Win the league is the target as far as i am concerned, right back up.. haway!

Realistically, at this point odds on for promotion is a ridiculous price and based more on the money bet on you than an objective appraisal of your chances. To say that you're twice as likely to get promoted as Barnsley, for example, who have had a similar start is odd.

Whilst I have an internal 'its sunderland, we'll fuck it up' we have been clearly better than our opponents for 195 out of 270 minutes of game so far and we haven't yet played any of our three best players. We have three forwards to come in plus McGeady. And we also have McGeouch to come back too. Wed have to have a ridiculosuly unlucky run of injuries to not get promoted.

We will win the league, we haven't even got our first team players playing yet ffs.

There is nothing in this league to worry about. Barnsley only had 1 shot on target at the weekend & they ment to have the best forwards in the league.

Sunderland will be champions fact.
Let's see how we do against Wimbledon first before we use that as a gauge to judge Barnsley - Wimbledon haven't conceded a goal in the league yet this season....

@chave how did they look in your cup game? Were you resting players?

Keep playing in the league as we've started and we will do fine this season... I suspect we've not seen anything like the best the lads have to offer yet though. Ross seems to be getting his plans across really well and you can see it in the way the players are performing and I suspect most of us really like what we are seeing so far, but it's going to take a while for the mentality to become the normal, so I do expect us to have some blips along the way.

After that performance yesterday. Anybody got any views after just three matches if we will be contesting the two automatic positions or are we just a top six side and have to challenge for play offs.
I think us, Portsmouth, Plymouth and Barnsley in the top 4.

Realistically, at this point odds on for promotion is a ridiculous price and based more on the money bet on you than an objective appraisal of your chances. To say that you're twice as likely to get promoted as Barnsley, for example, who have had a similar start is odd.

Similar starts point wise perhaps. Don't think they've had a more difficult start to life in league one than us though. Think we are quite rightly favourites to go up tbh. Solid start against three solid play off contenders. Barnsley couldn't beat Wimbledon at home. Of course it may come back to bite us on the arse but with the players we've got coming back I'm quite confident we will stamp our authority on the league by November like.

Let's see how we do against Wimbledon first before we use that as a gauge to judge Barnsley - Wimbledon haven't conceded a goal in the league yet this season....

@chave how did they look in your cup game? Were you resting players?
They were fairly decent, could surprise a few and be around the play-offs. We both made a number of changes, but their work ethic and diligence shone through. They did well to come back after we went ahead, although it took a dreadful own goal for us to lose. I think they're on a similar level to Luton.

Have Barnsley got any first team players missing due to injury?

Similar starts point wise perhaps. Don't think they've had a more difficult start to life in league one than us though. Think we are quite rightly favourites to go up tbh. Solid start against three solid play off contenders. Barnsley couldn't beat Wimbledon at home. Of course it may come back to bite us on the arse but with the players we've got coming back I'm quite confident we will stamp our authority on the league by November like.
I don't think Scunthorpe or Charlton will be near the play-offs either, to be honest. Bradford and Oxford are poor, but you can only beat what's in front of you.

Have Barnsley got any first team players missing due to injury?
Don't think so, although injured players can be a wildcard. If McGeady comes back with an attitude, will it unsettle things? Will Wyke come straight back in for Maja, who has scored plenty of goals, and what will it do for the morale of the player who misses out? Sometimes it's simpler when you have less players and don't have to worry about keeping everyone happy.

Last edited:

Back