3D printers

Daks

Winger
To ease some boredom was considering buying one but , is there any point ?

Anybody use one at home rather than for work ?

see if you can get your head around some 3D software so you can actually create stuff to print before buying the printer. That way you will know what kind of printer you need and know if you can create stuff before spending the money on the printer.

see if you can get your head around some 3D software so you can actually create stuff to print before buying the printer. That way you will know what kind of printer you need and know if you can create stuff before spending the money on the printer.
So if I draw something in AutoCAD, could I just port it to the printer software and set it away?

So if I draw something in AutoCAD, could I just port it to the printer software and set it away?

yes and no. I am no expert, but I understand that you have to think about how it's printed. It starts from the bottom and goes up, so for example if whatever you're making it small at the bottom then wide at the top, the print will fall over as it's printing, or you need to add in supports that can easily and cleanly snip off. Also, most are single colours, you can get more expensive ones that do 2.

yes and no. I am no expert, but I understand that you have to think about how it's printed. It starts from the bottom and goes up, so for example if whatever you're making it small at the bottom then wide at the top, the print will fall over as it's printing, or you need to add in supports that can easily and cleanly snip off. Also, most are single colours, you can get more expensive ones that do 2.
I’d like one but I can’t think of anything I’d use it for.

I’d like one but I can’t think of anything I’d use it for.

we've got them at work for printing body parts for teaching medical students. I've seen some really good stuff but also some disasters. I want to use one to make some small dog agility equipment for judges to use to design courses but I just don't have the skill on AutoCAD to make the designs up.

we've got them at work for printing body parts for teaching medical students. I've seen some really good stuff but also some disasters. I want to use one to make some small dog agility equipment for judges to use to design courses but I just don't have the skill on AutoCAD to make the designs up.
Send iz a sketch and i can do the AutoCAD bit if you want.

Send iz a sketch and i can do the AutoCAD bit if you want.

I basically want to rip these off, but do it cheaper Gallery it's important it's to scale to these actual obstacles https://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/media/24818/judges_guide_to_agility_equipment.pdf

My next problem is what scale to do it. The dog walk would probably have to be printed in 3 pieces then clipped together otherwise printing it one piece will mean the rest is absolutely tiny, my work printer is a max of 27cm wide. If I can get these up and running I'm happy to give you a kickback if I am able to sell some. Can't see there being much in it, was more of a teach my self stuff.

I basically want to rip these off, but do it cheaper Gallery it's important it's to scale to these actual obstacles https://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/media/24818/judges_guide_to_agility_equipment.pdf

My next problem is what scale to do it. The dog walk would probably have to be printed in 3 pieces then clipped together otherwise printing it one piece will mean the rest is absolutely tiny, my work printer is a max of 27cm wide. If I can get these up and running I'm happy to give you a kickback if I am able to sell some. Can't see there being much in it, was more of a teach my self stuff.
I’ll have a proper look and do some quick drawings during the week. Once the design is right then dimensional changes are easy.

To ease some boredom was considering buying one but , is there any point ?

Anybody use one at home rather than for work ?
It depends what you are interested in and if you like making stuff. A couple of my interests are woodwork and electronics stuff. It is great being able to print my own enclosures and things. For woodwork, I’ve printed out a few brackets and various marker gauges like drill holes for kitchen cabinet type hinges or angle markers.

I’ve done a few practical bits like a small shelf with recesses for our toothbrush chargers and a wall mounted basket made from a hexagonal mesh for keeping various bike oil containers in. If they drip you don’t get gunk building at the bottom. A few repairs on the kids toys too.

they are pretty loud and can run quite hot, the cheap Chinese ones don't have very good safety mechanisms in place so you need to keep an eye on them

Back