39 years ago, one of the truly great away games I saw { thanks Statcat}..

• Thread starter Deleted member 6830
  • Start date

Aww man, what a night, we were superb.
To be fair to City, they sang We love you City for the last 15 minutes non stop that night - had my respect after that - awesome display of support.

we did and lost home to Soton and also got ''SWORDed at Stockport iirc
Stockport was at Roker 1-2 , same score as Soton in front of 41k

Stockport was at Roker 1-2 , same score as Soton in front of 41k
Was in the fulwell for the soton game,proper packed.
Beat them fair and square.
Not our fault if they saved themselves for the EC 2 weeks later.
Hansen hit our bar anarl remember!
I think many think we would of been relegated had we lost,I thought that for about 35 years but we wouldn't of

Last edited:
Great atmosphere created on the Kippax from both sets of fans that night. One of my favourite away days. Mind you, me mate had a half full can of lager stotted off his head from the City ranks near the end. Remember the City fans singing "shit on the Geordies, shit on the Geordies tonight" - must've been before the Mackem label surfaced.

Through all the shit we have witnessed over many years, it is games and memories like this that make it all seem worthwhile {sorry to disappoint you gray matter old bean}. The elation felt walking out of the ground to the car was tremendous.

A blood curdling roar was heard from my room in my lodgings in London. The family downstairs thought I had been murdered. No , I said when I saw them, we just beat Man City 4_1.

Remember that evening so well ,remember discussing the game with a workmates of mine who hailed from Manchester .He said to me the trouble with City was that they were Mal (Allison) adjusted

was in the main stand opp the kippax with me fatha and his mancunian mate, was only a youngun.
only thing i can remember about it was the unusual roof....

Was there a stabbing that night. Or was it City away circa that era. Certainly remember it happening. We were parked by the side of a rugby field.

.............a John Hawley hattrick as we smashed Man City at Maine Road with 4000 Safc in the magnificent Kippax on a balmy evening in Moss Side.

Oh how we sang:lol::lol:

One of those nights when its truly great to be a Sunderland fan.

Cummins with the other ???
I have the programme from that match - and also the programmes from every other away game that season.

Was at the game , got in mates car after match and got out of Moss side , stopped at pub and watched Match of the Day or perhaps Midweek match. Showed highlights and league table with us top, happy days the type of thing that keeps us all supporting them through thick and thin

Was there a stabbing that night. Or was it City away circa that era. Certainly remember it happening. We were parked by the side of a rugby field.
Now i was just about to post on that very matter. My mate got stabbed down at Man City but I've no idea if it was this match or not. I've got a shit memory.

Back