39 years ago, one of the truly great away games I saw { thanks Statcat}..

• Thread starter Deleted member 6830
  • Start date

.............a John Hawley hattrick as we smashed Man City at Maine Road with 4000 Safc in the magnificent Kippax on a balmy evening in Moss Side.

Oh how we sang:lol::lol:

One of those nights when its truly great to be a Sunderland fan.

Cummins with the other ???

Was there took me mag mate with me as we were working down there at the time

He was gutted :)

Didn’t that make us top of the league? I had lunch with a Mag at work the next day who said we’d get stuffed. Told him it would be a cheap meal - he’d be able to eat his words!

Was there took me mag mate with me as we were working down there at the time

He was gutted :)

Aww man, what a night, we were superb.
To be fair to City, they sang We love you City for the last 15 minutes non stop that night - had my respect after that - awesome display of support.
Didn’t that make us top of the league? I had lunch with a Mag at work the next day who said we’d get stuffed. Told him it would be a cheap meal - he’d be able to eat his words!

we did and lost home to Soton and also got ''SWORDed at Stockport iirc

Was a fantastic night. Definitely Cummins for the other one. My mate had family in Salford so we stayed the night - one of the worst hangovers ever the next day. Doesn't seem 5 minutes ago - what we'd give for that now :)

I feel old

I am, but remember the night very well
Was a fantastic night. Definitely Cummins for the other one. My mate had family in Salford so we stayed the night - one of the worst hangovers ever the next day. Doesn't seem 5 minutes ago - what we'd give for that now :)

It was great mate but the season unravelled quite quickly after that.
Still, we survived at Anfield which was canny:lol::lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
I am, but remember the night very well

It was great mate but the season unravelled quite quickly after that.
Still, we survived at Anfield which was canny:lol::lol:
Remember Anfield like it was yesterday anarl. Consett bus and another hangover! I know you always look back and think everything was better back in the day - but football definitely was. There wasn't a better time ever than late 70s/early 80s for going to games :)

Remember Anfield like it was yesterday anarl. Consett bus and another hangover! I know you always look back and think everything was better back in the day - but football definitely was. There wasn't a better time ever than late 70s/early 80s for going to games :)

Couldnt agree more mate, could get a bit "hairy" at times, but loved being a fan in that era.

.............a John Hawley hattrick as we smashed Man City at Maine Road with 4000 Safc in the magnificent Kippax on a balmy evening in Moss Side.

Oh how we sang:lol::lol:

One of those nights when its truly great to be a Sunderland fan.

Cummins with the other ???
I was there 9 years old

We went top

Back