35mm f2 versus 50mm f1.8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which to go for?

Can the 35 be used for portraits and the 50 for wide angle landscapes?
Bought the 50mm but beginning to wonder if I should have something wider for scenery

Which to go for?

Can the 35 be used for portraits and the 50 for wide angle landscapes?
Bought the 50mm but beginning to wonder if I should have something wider for scenery

On a crop body I'd be going for a lot wider than 50mm or 35mm for that matter

You can get the 1.8 for about £70-80 on ebay so would just go for that for now, even on a crop sensor.

On my crop, as Rosso has pointed out 50mm doesnt do me any favours but with a bit of fiddling about can be okay

This was taken (handheld as I didnt have my tripod) with a 50mm 1.4 (worth the extra money over the 1.8mm 150 quid on ebay)

Logon or register to see this image

Last edited:
Good advice cheers, got the 1.8 on amazon so I'll have a brief look at that but may return it, that 28mm looks decent, I bought my 55-250 from there do the grey import is no problem for me.

Will that still be decent for portraits?

IMHO 18mm APS-C, 28mm full frame/35mm are the best focal length for landscapes. Anything shorter and you get foreground-heavy timewarp effect, which is only any good for cliched seascapes. Also, a lot of ultra-wide lenses tend to lack a filter thread which is a right pain in the tits.

if you could wait for it to come back in stock and not bothered about grey import:

http://www.procamerashop.co.uk/lenses-18/canon/wide-angle/canon-ef-28mm-f-2-8.html

If you are not fussy about autofocus, the Rokinon/Samyang 24mm/f1.4 comes highly rated. I have had this recommended to me by some top aurora imagers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back