35mm colour film

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

not spavin

Any recommendations?

Used a fair bit of Ektar which is great, but also very slow.

Ideally want summat that's appx. ISO 400 and suitable for a range of photography types - basically the colour equivalent of Ilford HP5. Looking for punchy colours and a signature look, rather than full-on accuracy.

Provia 400X is canny, can get away with pushing it a few stops too. Although E6, which may not be what yer after.

Kodak Portra 400 and a couple of Fuji 400 films are probably yer best bet although I cannat vouch for colours never having used any. Worth a Flickr search to see examples.

The Fuji 800Z which was discontinued is also decent, maybe worth a look on ebay for it.

Provia 400 is no Velvia 50, but is about as good as you are gonna do. It's actually decent in warm dawn/dusk light, horrible in bright light

You'd have to be properly barking to process your own imho

I like Portra 400 a lot, especially for people, however definitely not the film for punchy colours. It's also pricey. Best thing about it is that it is incredibly tolerant of underexposure. You can easily rate it at 800 with no change in development and it still looks great. Some have got away with rating it at 1600 though I haven't tried myself. Fuji Pro 400H is their equivalent, but largely surpassed by Portra IMO.

Provia 400 is a good shout if E6 works for you, though it has a fairly neutral colour balance. It's not 'fast Velvia', though it is now the only fast E6 film out there I think.

Kodak Ultramax 400 might be worth trying - it's not a pro film but does have more vibrancy than Portra if that's what you're after.

Fuji Superia X-tra 400 is another fine general purpose film and good value. Just cos it's a 'supermarket' film doesn't mean it isn't good. I've used it very happily for 'out-and-about' photography.

This is a good group to check out on Flickr - you can click links to examples of each film type if you scroll down a bit:

http://www.flickr.com/groups/filmdatabase/

Addendum to this. I just shot a roll in diffuse white daylight (a minor blizzard as it happens) with provia 400x, and it has the most ridiculous magenta cast ever. Bizarrely auto colour in photoshop resolves it almost perfectly in one click though

I cannot predict this film like Velvia 50. I've seen it emphasize the greens too. But not in a nice way

If anyone can suggest another 400 colour slide I might forget about this film actually

Provia 400 is a good shout if E6 works for you, though it has a fairly neutral colour balance. It's not 'fast Velvia', though it is now the only fast E6 film out there I think.

ah, you might be right

substitute 'neutral' for 'shite' like

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back