352 scrapped

In
Don't think so but please enlighten me
In summary, based on comments from this thread, Ross cannot win no matter what he does.
the problem for me is not only the formation it's the negative approach he has to games

regardless of formation i'd love to see him go for it and take the game to them from the off especially at home. i just don't see it though as it would go against what he's been doing for months now. he's so concerned with not losing he's forgotten how to kill games

we shall see

Aye, a fairer point. 442 can be an extremely defensive formation depending on how you play it. Just as 451 or 352 can be as attacking as you like.

formations are by the by. not getting in the right players is his number 1 failing

In
In summary, based on comments from this thread, Ross cannot win no matter what he does.

Aye, a fairer point. 442 can be an extremely defensive formation depending on how you play it. Just as 451 or 352 can be as attacking as you like.
Totally agree with you there that he can't win with everyone.
For me if he believed the system to be the one to go with, which I think it could work in some games but not all, then he should've persisted with it and maybe got it right by changing players. Mainly getting Flanagan out of it and dropping Grigg to give him the rocket he needs

Change of tactics today, 4 at the back. Conor McLaughlin is left back.
McNulty and wyke starting

Good, I thought it would take 4 or 5 games before it was scrapped, fair play he has came to that decision quickly CM left back is a concern but other than that I'm happy.

the problem for me is not only the formation it's the negative approach he has to games

regardless of formation i'd love to see him go for it and take the game to them from the off especially at home. i just don't see it though as it would go against what he's been doing for months now. he's so concerned with not losing he's forgotten how to kill games

we shall see
Agreed but he sets the team up with a number of attacking players, just doesn't seem to have got the balance yet.

People have rightly pointed out that the reason 3-5-2 hasn't worked is because we haven't got the personnel for it.

Maybe Ross went into preseason planning to have the personnel to play that system by the time the season started but the deals just haven't worked out, maybe a deal for a left sided centre half fell through along with deals for several left wing backs.

If this was the case maybe the only criticism we should direct at him is that he only worked on one formation and maybe a few extra friendlies would have given time to work on more.

If true, happy with that from a Pompey perspective. Wyke and McNulty are your best choice as a striking partnership on current form, but we've got a tall team so shouldn't be bullied by long balls up to Wyke and I'm not convinced by your distribution from defence.

Assuming McGeady is on the left flank, we can double up on him without worrying about a left footer on the overlap, as McLaughlin would prefer to cut back before crossing. Harness should enjoy trying to get past McLaughlin on the touchline, and he's a decent right footed crosser.

Also presumably means 2 midfielders against our three, which should allow is to get Cannon and Close forward to press your midfield pair closer to your defence which, if you continue playing the high defensive line you used last year, should increase our chances of through balls and isolate your attacking players.

If true, happy with that from a Pompey perspective. Wyke and McNulty are your best choice as a striking partnership on current form, but we've got a tall team so shouldn't be bullied by long balls up to Wyke and I'm not convinced by your distribution from defence.

Assuming McGeady is on the left flank, we can double up on him without worrying about a left footer on the overlap, as McLaughlin would prefer to cut back before crossing. Harness should enjoy trying to get past McLaughlin on the touchline, and he's a decent right footed crosser.

Also presumably means 2 midfielders against our three, which should allow is to get Cannon and Close forward to press your midfield pair closer to your defence which, if you continue playing the high defensive line you used last year, should increase our chances of through balls and isolate your attacking players.
What a load of absolute horse shite ...but God loves a trier

And rightly so. Had he listened to the fans sooner, we might have had more points on the board.

Haway man, he tried a new system but it didn’t work, he changed it after a game and a half.
Fair enough give him critcism
But he’s right he’s damned if he does and damned if he doesn’t.
And most fans know fuck all about football in reality

Back