35 years ago today

Offshore on the Shell Fulmar.
It was a cracking day out at sea, with high pressure, and we managed to pick up the live T V. signal from the land.

I watched it all until I had to go and do my part-time evening bar job. My Dad recorded the whole lot for me on VHS and cassette and still have those somewhere or other.
After the bar closed I went round my mates house and watched the American stuff and sat watching Zeppelin live in awe. It wasn`t until I watched it back in the cold light of day that I realised what a woeful performance they did.

Best bands for me were Queen (obviously), a great opening by Quo, Ultravox and Bowie all stood out. Enjoyed the Boomtown Rats too .Thought U2 dragged on far too long and Bono acted like a pillock. Duran Duran and Power Station in America were good too. I wasn`t impressed at all with Bob Dylan, Keef `n` Ronnie at the end.

I`ve watched a few performances since then that I didn`t see at the time of Judas Priest, Black Sabbath and Four Tops that I enjoyed too.

In Norway picking cherries. What many people don't realise is there wasn't just the UK and USA concerts it was worldwide, lots of countries had their own version at the same time. The one in Norway was way above the Arctic Circle and I remember it because the temperature up there was in the 30's.

Hungover to fuck in a flat in Edinburgh after an all day session that went from dinner time to 3 or 4 am the day before.

Back