30 Years Ago Tonight...

Heard about it on the radio first. Was doing my homework and can remember sitting in stunned silence looking at the radio as I couldn't believe what I was hearing.

Was the flight path over the north east?

Where I live is a flight path to ponteland airport

There was a documentary on the other week and it showed a poor mother, howling distraught in an airport after being told. Really harrowing scene and got to me a bit

Iirc it came from a western direction.
I know Lockerbie is towards the west coast of Scotland but you see very high flights, heading in that direction over ours sometimes

The lower ones are in their approach to ponteland when they pass over ours. On a night, you can see faces at the windows sometimes

I know Lockerbie is towards the west coast of Scotland but you see very high flights, heading in that direction over ours sometimes

The lower ones are in their approach to ponteland when they pass over ours. On a night, you can see faces at the windows sometimes
From the link:

To establish the flight Path across the UK, I return to the conversation with ATC Brown:
Q And then A20 route?
A It was a low level airway from London Heathrow going through a reporting point called
Trent, which is TNT.
Q And then, "upper alfa 2 Pole Hill UB for [156] Margo direct Glasgow."
A That's the route that the aircraft would continue to take. After Trent, it would proceed via Upper Humber 2, via Pole Hill, upper Bravo 4 to Margo, flight direct from Margo to Glasgow, and then follows the upper air route 590 to 59 north and 10 west.
Q And then we see, "/ mach No. 0.84." What does that refer to?
A As it crosses the oceanic boundary and comes under oceanic control, the separation on
the ocean is made by reference to a mach number rather than a physical speed and knot.
And therefore the aircraft had planned to fly at mach decimal 84.
Q Mach being the speed of sound?
A Mach being the speed of sound.
Q And then "estimated elapsed times," what does that refer to?
A The estimated elapsed time in number 5 are -- it takes him one hour 24 minutes to get to
10 degrees west
. To 20 west is two hour nine minutes. To 30 west is two hour 47 minutes.
So it's cumulative times as it proceeds across the north Atlantic.
Q Thank you very much.

From the link:

To establish the flight Path across the UK, I return to the conversation with ATC Brown:
Q And then A20 route?
A It was a low level airway from London Heathrow going through a reporting point called
Trent, which is TNT.
Q And then, "upper alfa 2 Pole Hill UB for [156] Margo direct Glasgow."
A That's the route that the aircraft would continue to take. After Trent, it would proceed via Upper Humber 2, via Pole Hill, upper Bravo 4 to Margo, flight direct from Margo to Glasgow, and then follows the upper air route 590 to 59 north and 10 west.
Q And then we see, "/ mach No. 0.84." What does that refer to?
A As it crosses the oceanic boundary and comes under oceanic control, the separation on
the ocean is made by reference to a mach number rather than a physical speed and knot.
And therefore the aircraft had planned to fly at mach decimal 84.
Q Mach being the speed of sound?
A Mach being the speed of sound.
Q And then "estimated elapsed times," what does that refer to?
A The estimated elapsed time in number 5 are -- it takes him one hour 24 minutes to get to
10 degrees west
. To 20 west is two hour nine minutes. To 30 west is two hour 47 minutes.
So it's cumulative times as it proceeds across the north Atlantic.
Q Thank you very much.
Thanks again.

Back