30 years ago tomorrow, one of the best moments from Roker Park

That was class.
I was in the Roker, and really hoped Benno was gonna punch the shite out him, when he had hold of him by the throat.
I was down at Coventry for the 2nd leg, and the least said about that game, the better.
I was in the clock stand paddock abt 20 yds from where Speedie ended up.

Goose bumps watching that again, cheers OP. Night matches at Roker hold special memories for me. From getting on the bus at Barnwell shops to seeing the Echo face (usually ☹) on the trip home, and everything in between. I’m so glad I got to experience all of that with my Granda and Dad.
They really were special as you say mate. They were 'Magic'. Don't know if that is more to do with the excitement of being a youngun or if it really was. Just seems so sterile now.

Away game was a disaster 5-0 iirc.

I did a conservatory for the lad who scored 4 of the goals, he lived in Middlesbrough
Quite a few arrests . My brother got arrested then when I asked a copper why he was arresting him they arrested me . Let us out at around 5am had to wait for train back and when I got back my brother was getting off a carriage further up on the train. Horrible coppers down there

Benno once came round my house for a cup of tea so of course I asked him about the incident (obviously).

Benno was coming back from a knee injury and speedy had told him before the game he was going to target said knee, ‘do him’ effectively and stayed true to his word. Gary was not too impressed by this and understandably lost his shit.

Remember the follow-up when Speedie came back with Blackburn a year or 2 later. 90 minutes of 'David Speedie is a w*nker' being sung at him- he had a great game and came over after the game to applaud the Fulwell End, who, unless my memory is shot- applauded him back. Confused the shit out of me!

Sly as fuck from Speedie.

I was in the Clockstand paddock right by it when Speedie came over the edge. Wasn't one of those fans who pushed him back onto the pitch side though. He was lucky no one had sly dig Pompey style, becuase he would have deserved it to be fair. Clearly targeted Bennett's knee right in front of our eyes.

Watch again. Right hander gets sent in :lol:

Last edited:
I was in the CS too, right near where it happened. Went to down to Coventry in a builders van. My mate punched out the rear window in frustration (he wasn’t popular) and spent the entire five hour journey home freezing our arses off.
Tomorrow marks 30 years since The Rumble at Roker Park.

David Speedie tries to kneecap Gary Bennett, who responds with a chokeslam into the crowd. Cue a massive bundle, before Big Cyrille Regis cleans house.

Bring yer f***ing dinner.

John Kay dying to get stuck in : )

Last edited:
Tomorrow marks 30 years since The Rumble at Roker Park.

David Speedie tries to kneecap Gary Bennett, who responds with a chokeslam into the crowd. Cue a massive bundle, before Big Cyrille Regis cleans house.

Bring yer f***ing dinner.

@Luna17 won't be happy with you stealing his glory of this great memory as he's been waiting but he can't post until 2 minutes ;):lol:

I was in the Clockstand paddock right by it when Speedie came over the edge. Wasn't one of those fans who pushed him back onto the pitch side though. He was lucky no one had sly dig Pompey style, becuase he would have deserved it to be fair. Clearly targeted Bennett's knee right in front of our eyes.
Speedie was an arsehole tbf

Went to both games. Right next to the speedie incident in the paddocks. Away game was dreadful. We took a load down there as well

Back