30 years ago tomorrow, one of the best moments from Roker Park

I was in the Mainstand, right opposite it. I miss those night games at Roker, just something about the whole atmosphere with the floodlights on, going in after a few pints in the Derby and going across the road for a cowboy supper.

Tomorrow marks 30 years since The Rumble at Roker Park.

David Speedie tries to kneecap Gary Bennett, who responds with a chokeslam into the crowd. Cue a massive bundle, before Big Cyrille Regis cleans house.

Bring yer f***ing dinner.

Says a lot when some people think ‘ one of the best moments of Roker Park’ is not celebrating a last minute winner or beating the mags or a top team, but a fight a between players :D

odious little cretin

over the years we've signed players we had previously hated, Ian Wright, Teddy Sheringham, Craig Bellamy etc

but Speedie remains the only one we booed just as much when he played for us as when he played against us

funny enough right around the same time we had a simialr incident, with a 22 man brawl vs Wimbledon that started when Dicksie hit Dennis Wise with a 2 footed tackle that hit Wise in the chest (no joke), Eric Young got too close to the chicken run in the melee and got pulled in and got a bit of a hiding

Similar happened to Graham Roberts for Spurs the day he found out why you did not mess with Billy Bonds

Last edited:
Went to the 0-5 replay. Pockets of trouble in the stands. Our end was packed and dangerous as they didn't make it all ticket. Owers sent off and I think it was Steve Livingstone who got 4.
Awful night/game. I was about 18 then, me and a mate went on the train, knew we would couldn't get train home (last one to Brum was about 9.15) so we thought we would just kip in the station. On way there after the game we got chased by Coventry, got split up. I managed to get to the police station and explained what had happened and asked if it was OK to kip in the police station, they told me to "f**k off yer geordie b@stard".

Thankfully a couple of lads from Easington Lane were being released and their minibus had hung on for them and they gave me a lift back to Durham, forever grateful.

I was in the clockstand but a bit along from where it happened.
Did gary owers get sent off down there or is my memory shite again?
I honestly cannot remember.
My memory is crackers.
I can remember the names of random pubs I was in only once over 40 years ago, but sometimes struggle to remember things from a fortnight ago. 🤪

That was class.
I was in the Roker, and really hoped Benno was gonna punch the shite out him, when he had hold of him by the throat.
I was down at Coventry for the 2nd leg, and the least said about that game, the better.
I was there with our lass who sat for the 1st 5 mins on one of the barriers in the roker end fell off and never saw another minute i think 🤣🤣🤣

Back