3 weights workouts per week?

If it was me I would get proper medical advice for anything that’s painful and perhaps do Pilates and a lot of fast walking.

When things stopped hurting I’d consider weights but I’d probably use machines at first as at your stage I doubt that you’ll be a competitive power lifter. No offence intended, you will be better off listening to professionals. Good luck.

If it was me I would get proper medical advice for anything that’s painful and perhaps do Pilates and a lot of fast walking.
When things stopped hurting I’d consider weights but I’d probably use machines at first as at your stage I doubt that you’ll be a competitive power lifter. No offence intended, you will be better off listening to professionals. Good luck.

I did talk to proper physios. One was a proper referral or this actual issue. They had me doing squats as well as some variation on planks. I didn't finish the course for reasons (new baby, being a lazy fuck, etc)
And then when I was having physio for that fall where I knacked my ankle, I mentioned it to her, and she did a load of tests, and she said similar things.

Its only painful if I'm on my feet for a number of hours - it shows up most when I'm at a theme park for a full day, or fortnight (I do this a lot!). In my normal life, I get no pain whatsoever.
I've no interest in lifting fucktons of weight, I just want to fix the problems. Going to the gym on the way home from work is the first successful way to get me to actually do something that I've come across in over 10 years. I know once I'm home after work, its incredibly unlikely that I'll do anything.

Bearing in mind my goal here is to strengthen my core muscles to fix the pretty horrible problem I get with baaaaaad pain in my right hip area that 2 different physios have both said is core muscle weakness - what would you suggest?

I'm getting to a point with 5x5 SL that I'm just waiting to pull something now that I've got back to my max limits across the board.

I've no idea what mechanically abnormal might be!

Both physios told me to practice squats with my back against a wall - keeping it flat as I go up and down. The lad who runs the gym said the same too.
Then I watched videos online, and they told me to push my arse out before starting the movement.

Feels like there's 2 totally different techniques, and tbh, I'm confused as to what I should be doing - especially now I'm clearly putting strain on my lower back that I don't think should be happening.

I think, and I'm not 100% sure here, that I started with it right on top and have started to let it sit a touch lower.

Looking at some pics, I'd probably say high bar still.

TBH I've never really done Stronglifts in isolation, it's always been part of a wider regimen so I've got no idea how effective it is at strengthening all of the core muscles. I do know that when I started doing pilates I struggled like fuck despite looking the most powerfully built person in the room & it seems to have sorted my weak hip flexors which no amount of running, squatting or deadlifting had before so maybe that's the way forward?

Great minds...

Last edited:
TBH I've never really done Stronglifts in isolation, it's always been part of a wider regimen so I've got no idea how effective it is at strengthening all of the core muscles. I do know that when I started doing pilates I struggled like fuck despite looking the most powerfully built person in the room & it seems to have sorted my weak hip flexors which no amount of running, squatting or deadlifting had before so maybe that's the way forward?

Great minds...

I have been thinking that stretching and flexibility would be a good idea. Haven't a clue how to get started though. Really don't fancy joining a class - its not my type of thing. And as I know, if I try to do it at home, I just won't.
I know I'm putting fences up here.

I'll have a think.

Are they're any good youtube channels for pilates?

Last edited:
I have been thinking that stretching and flexibility would be a good idea. Haven't a clue how to get started though. Really don't fancy joining a class - its not my type of thing. And as I know, if I try to do it at home, I just won't.
I know I'm putting fences up here.

I'll have a think.

Are they're any good youtube channels for pilates?

There seem to be loads of channels for beginning Pilates but I've got no idea how good any of them are. I go to classes at the gym & the instructors all do things slightly differently from each other & they all change things a little bit each session so maybe just switch channels each time until you've found a few you like.

Thanks. Talked to the missus last night, and we're going to have a look into doing it together. Probably one night a week.

Ideally 2 lifting sessions, 1 cardio and 1 pilates per week.
The cardio might even become C25K, as I've been thinking of giving that a shot. I guess anything that causes the pain (muscle tiredness) also has the same effect as to strengthen then?

By the way,. sorry if I sound twisty and unappreciative on this thread. I don't mean to be. Just trying to be honest.

Thanks. Talked to the missus last night, and we're going to have a look into doing it together. Probably one night a week.

The cardio might even become C25K, as I've been thinking of giving that a shot. I guess anything that causes the pain (muscle tiredness) also has the same effect as to strengthen then?

By the way,. sorry if I sound twisty and unappreciative on this thread. I don't mean to be. Just trying to be honest.

You might have timed the Couch to 5k thing just right as Horden parkrun is about to get off the ground.

I don't know if you're on insta or twitter but following Layne Norton might be an idea. He's coming back from yet another lower ack injury and has a few videos of boring but vital support work.

Back