3 days in New York May2020

:lol: :lol: Customs are going to be confused when they see you've brought a parker, a scarf, two pairs of gloves and a wooly hat to Cancun
One case for new york, one for Mexico. Was a deal with hays travel. Can't wait now 7 working weeks until Christmas work shutdown, back for a week then off we pop 😎

The Campbell...for drinks , hidden away in a part of Grand Central ..the ornate features and windows are worth the price of a "Manhattan "alone..Go around 6pm if you can when the City folk finish work ..it's like a free show!enjoy

You’re not going to have much time for anything else!

If you are doing Top of the Rock there’s no need to go up the Empire State Building as you get a better view from the Rockefeller
We did both, Empire State was worth seeing on the inside but aye the view from Rockefeller is better.
We went on a the sightseeing bus and used this to get around due to the ages of our family group but found that it took an age to get anywhere due to the traffic.
This. It was worth doing the tour to get an idea of what's where early doors and they do night time tours too, but forget about it for transport.

We've used them to get around in other cities and our lass was going on about getting the most from them, but it took so long in the traffic it was literally a waste of time.

Last edited:
One case for new york, one for Mexico. Was a deal with hays travel. Can't wait now 7 working weeks until Christmas work shutdown, back for a week then off we pop 😎
Was in NY 5 weeks ago, had a great time - did a gig at Terminal5 (little bit like the O2), Broadway show, Baseball at Yankee Stadium, Ice Hockey at MSG, climbed to the crown of SOL, Carlo's bakery (twice ;)), Bubba Gumps, loads of pizza, loads of 'food on the go', a full day in Central Park and seen a bloke in McDonalds wearing a John Motson style sheepskin coat when it was 29 degrees outside :lol:. Still didn't get everything done that we wanted to.

Buy a 7 day metro card $35 - ideal for getting around on the subway
Did ESB and TotR last year so didn't go again - if you want to a night time view we did it TotR but the perspex/glass surround means you're looking at your own reflection a lot of the time so maybe do it at the ESB which has railings instead. Anyway if, like us, you don't know NY, the you're looking at a lit up city without knowing what's what and which area is which etc.

If you're using JFK, use Howards Beach subway to and from Manhattan. Especially avoid Jamaica Station on the way back to JFK, very busy and lots of aggressive people asking for Metro cards that are still valid.

24 years since I was in Cancun so it might have changed a bit !!

Enjoy yersel :cool:

Was in NY 5 weeks ago, had a great time - did a gig at Terminal5 (little bit like the O2), Broadway show, Baseball at Yankee Stadium, Ice Hockey at MSG, climbed to the crown of SOL, Carlo's bakery (twice ;)), Bubba Gumps, loads of pizza, loads of 'food on the go', a full day in Central Park and seen a bloke in McDonalds wearing a John Motson style sheepskin coat when it was 29 degrees outside :lol:. Still didn't get everything done that we wanted to.

Did ESB and TotR last year so didn't go again - if you want to a night time view we did it TotR but the perspex/glass surround means you're looking at your own reflection a lot of the time so maybe do it at the ESB which has railings instead. Anyway if, like us, you don't know NY, the you're looking at a lit up city without knowing what's what and which area is which etc.

If you're using JFK, use Howards Beach subway to and from Manhattan. Especially avoid Jamaica Station on the way back to JFK, very busy and lots of aggressive people asking for Metro cards that are still valid.

I paid two visits to the ESB.
Once on a daytime, and the other at nighttime.
NYC looked magnificent at night, from the observation deck of the ESB.
The view, from the Windows on the World, in the North Tower, of the original WTC, was absolutely, breathtaking.

Wouldn't bother with the high line personally, thought it was a waste of time when we did it, was packed and didn't really see the point of it.

Find a dingy dive bar and just sit there all afternoon and get smashed and patter on to all the weirdos

We went May last year Thursday to Tuesday. Going back this coming December to do all the other stuff we missed out on. Crazy how quick the day goes when you're out and about. Wear the most comfortable footwear you own!

We went May last year Thursday to Tuesday. Going back this coming December to do all the other stuff we missed out on. Crazy how quick the day goes when you're out and about. Wear the most comfortable footwear you own!
We walked for miles.
There's just so much to see and do in NYC.

If you're into your music history and cultural history then visit Cafe Wha on MacDougall Street in Greenwich Village - it's where Chas Chandler discovered the great Jimi Hendrix and persuaded him to come London.

There's also an Italian coffee shop nearby (name escapes me) where parts of the film The Godfather were shoot - had photos on the wall of actors involved.....their espresso is lush too:cool:

I loved just walking round the area and soaking up it's history when I last visited.

Hats travel sorted me a cracking price for New York yesterday for 4 of us in March , 5 nights like
£1600 each for us that's 5 nights new york 7 nights cancun all inclusive. Cracking deal marra. Enjoy 👍

Cheers for the advice mate, much appreciated.. The missus already got digs on what we do in NY, can't twist at me for sitting getting pissed all day round the pool in Mexico then 😁

Last edited:
Wouldn't bother with the high line personally, thought it was a waste of time when we did it, was packed and didn't really see the point of it.
Enjoyed it me, thought it was a real chance of pace from the rest of the city. Mind, wasn't too busy when we walked it and we'd been there a week, I was getting canny sick of how busy everywhere was.

Agree with the lad who said not to bother with the Highline. It can be really busy with folk dawdling about. I fancy going to the top of The Vessel at Hudson Yards when I go again next month. It only opened this year Vessel | Hudson Yards

I dont really know what that high line is supposed to be. I thought there would be lots grass and open areas to sit down and chill, have a picnic, maybe people playing music or selling food, but it was essentially just a path
Enjoyed it me, thought it was a real chance of pace from the rest of the city. Mind, wasn't too busy when we walked it and we'd been there a week, I was getting canny sick of how busy everywhere was.

Think I just though it was gonna be 'something's rather than just an elevated path from one place to another

Agree with the lad who said not to bother with the Highline. It can be really busy with folk dawdling about. I fancy going to the top of The Vessel at Hudson Yards when I go again next month. It only opened this year Vessel | Hudson Yards
The Vessel was cool like. Not gonna get the best views of the city or owt like that and it's essentially just a load of steps, but it looks like a spaceship or something when you go up it. I put me back out running about at the top, took me ages to get down. Had to go and find a pharmacy for some painkillers :lol:

First time there so doing the main tourist stuff.
Top of Rock,
Times Square
Central Park
High Line
Staten Island ferry
Maybe Ellis Island and the Sea, Air & Space museum

Any other “must do” or hidden gems that I should try to fit in.
Im currently here for 2 full days and it's not enough time.
It was cheaper to fly here rather than Washington which is where we are going to next.

Yesterday we went to visit harry houdini grave which my dad wanted to do, then we went to Coney island and then to a broadway show (David Byrne's american Utopia)

Today we are going to central park then Metalife stadium for a Giants game.

Last time we came (2012) we did high line and it was my favourite thing

Back