27 years ago 19th April 1997 Middlesbrough 0 Sunderland 1

Set off early for this crucial relegation battle, we were on a dreadful run of form with only 1 win in the last 12 games and had fallen into the bottom 3.

Made really good time and remember stopping in Yarm before the game for a pint and something to eat before heading to Smogland, only problem was the A19 traffic had got a lit worse and I made the kick off by the skin of my teeth.

As to the game itself, Boro had most of the possession in the first half and Perez made a good save from Beck. Beck also hit the base of the post. Paul Stewart had a decent effort for us well saved by the Boro keeper.

Right on half time we had a free kick, a great ball in from Waddle wasn't defended well by the home side and Darren Williams headed home. Scenes in the away end. @Jack Ford was downstairs having a pint watching on the TV and apparently pints went everywhere.

The second half was mainly Boro in attack but without looking too dangerous. One heart in mouth moment was when Perez took Juninho out but thankfully got the correct yellow card instead of the red card the home fans wanted.

Final score 0-1 , attendance 30,106.

Walking back to the car was dodgy as anything, lucky that I wasn't wearing any colours as I'd probably have got battered. Quite a bit of trouble and I can even remember 2 thugs well into their 40's getting a rock ready to throw at the SAFC supporters coaches.

Brief highlights are here if anyone wants to see them.

Was aproaching that subway back into town n an elderly safc fan had a bit breeze block whacked into his face.
Suddenly loads of chavvy looking blokes had extendable truncheons (undercover) n whacked everybody in sight.
Done an enormous loop into town n sat in that irish bar near sainsburys for seemingly hours till things calmed down around train station.
My only safc game down boro. Was with the fulwell end tarzan caller. Hawayayayayayaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh! 😀

Was aproaching that subway back into town n an elderly safc fan had a bit breeze block whacked into his face.
Suddenly loads of chavvy looking blokes had extendable truncheons (undercover) n whacked everybody in sight.
Done an enormous loop into town n sat in that irish bar near sainsburys for seemingly hours till things calmed down around train station.
My only safc game down boro. Was with the fulwell end tarzan caller. Hawayayayayayaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh! 😀
That'll have been ginger Bob....legend!!

Some great pubs in Yarm.
We went above Boro after this result. The game featured in Premier Passions episode 4 (14:50 onwards) - always worth an occasional watch.

Took me lad and his mate, they were only 11 at the time.
Left the ground and saw people( generally oldish or walking in 1 and 2s) being picked off with sly punches from behind by boro idiots. A group of lads who I recognised from the match appeared and started thumping boro, who saw sense and legged it. Followed the sunderland back to the coaches and safety. Took ages to get back .

I think the police must have asked Mark Thatcher to devise the route for the coaches from Sunderland to Boro, as it seemed to take a couple of hours. Cracking day and back to the Chesters then town

Set off early for this crucial relegation battle, we were on a dreadful run of form with only 1 win in the last 12 games and had fallen into the bottom 3.

Made really good time and remember stopping in Yarm before the game for a pint and something to eat before heading to Smogland, only problem was the A19 traffic had got a lit worse and I made the kick off by the skin of my teeth.

As to the game itself, Boro had most of the possession in the first half and Perez made a good save from Beck. Beck also hit the base of the post. Paul Stewart had a decent effort for us well saved by the Boro keeper.

Right on half time we had a free kick, a great ball in from Waddle wasn't defended well by the home side and Darren Williams headed home. Scenes in the away end. @Jack Ford was downstairs having a pint watching on the TV and apparently pints went everywhere.

The second half was mainly Boro in attack but without looking too dangerous. One heart in mouth moment was when Perez took Juninho out but thankfully got the correct yellow card instead of the red card the home fans wanted.

Final score 0-1 , attendance 30,106.

Walking back to the car was dodgy as anything, lucky that I wasn't wearing any colours as I'd probably have got battered. Quite a bit of trouble and I can even remember 2 thugs well into their 40's getting a rock ready to throw at the SAFC supporters coaches.

Brief highlights are here if anyone wants to see them.

4.56, can't say I've ever saw a 4 man wall in that situation before 😆

Back