24 Hours in police custody

hence why I asked what more the police and cps could do ?

CPS take an ultra cautious position. If they are almost guaranteed a GBH conviction and an Attempt Murder charge is a 70/30 they will go with the former every time. In cases where even getting a conviction is 70/30 they are very likely to not proceed with charges or actually drop the case if you go not guilty and it’s not an overly serious offence. There’s too much going through the courts system compared to capacity and they don’t have the budget to let a court decide everything therefore they hedge their bets to make conviction rates look good.
Ps I’ve made the 70/30 split up to demonstrate their view.... I’m not suggesting that’s an unwritten rule they follow at all ... erm ok officer... not at all... nothing to see here 👮‍♀️

That sentence almost made me yell at the TV, absolutely ridiculous.

It looks like the prosecution couldn't draw a direct link between the assault and it being the cause of death, so all they could do was charge her with assault, not murder. Prison in to rehabilitate and protect the public, this women has proved she gets drunk and viciously assault partners... this is what prison is for.

I think if the tables were reversed and she was in hospital with a smashed up face and brain damage, the bloke would be looking at 8-10 years.

The paragraph third from bottom on this article (about the one punch attack) sums it up. Kristian Thompson death: Open verdict recorded Kristian Thompson death: Open verdict recorded
Absolute scum the lad that did that. Drug dealing scum, ticking timebomb due to steroid & cocaine abuse.
He was back before a court a short while after he got out for the first incidenr (lad died, he did a year or so) for beating up a lass in the same nightclub the first lad was killed :lol: (you guessed it, suspended term for the second incident).
She had really mad eyes.
Was it me or did her pupils seem black.

Last edited:
His self respect and confidence was probably at rock bottom. A symptom of DV, and he had an alcohol problem too I believe. Which certainly makes you feel utterly worthless.

I know when the police woman was talking to him in hospital one of the first things he said was where was he was going to live so it seemed like the place they had was hers. He was also looking at hostels by the looks of it.

I know when the police woman was talking to him in hospital one of the first things he said was where was he was going to live so it seemed like the place they had was hers. He was also looking at hostels by the looks of it.

Yeah thats right. I'm only speculating here, but he seemed to me to be considering the relocation help when they offered it in hospital. Died before he could make a decision. Shocking. Awful. He had enough on his plate without that demon beating him.

I know from experience how difficult it is to get homed by the local authority as a single man. If it wasn't for the COVID lockdowns, I would very likely be homeless right now due to my drinking problem.

Last edited:
He seemed such a nice, gentle bloke too.

I expected her to beat the murder charge, but still thought she'd get at least 5 years.

Like others, I was astonished at the leniency of her sentence, despite clearly having gone through some very difficult times herself in the past.
This. I can kind of understand it not being murder as I would imagine it would be hard to link the assault with his death as it happened so long after and as a result of a heart attack but surely it should have at least been GBH not ABH.

This. I can kind of understand it not being murder as I would imagine it would be hard to link the assault with his death as it happened so long after and as a result of a heart attack but surely it should have at least been GBH not ABH.

That surprised me too.

ABH is normally causing minor injury, like a bruise or scratch, the sort of thing you'd get in a scuffle.
GBH is normally broken bones or life changing injuries which this guy had, a broken eye socket and a bleed on the brain.

Even the ABH has a maximum sentence of 5 years and she got 16 months after repeating the offence on release from doing it previously.

Ridiculous.

That surprised me too.

ABH is normally causing minor injury, like a bruise or scratch, the sort of thing you'd get in a scuffle.
GBH is normally broken bones or life changing injuries which this guy had, a broken eye socket and a bleed on the brain.

Even the ABH has a maximum sentence of 5 years and she got 16 months after repeating the offence on release from doing it previously.

Ridiculous.

ABH is a Section 47 assault. GBH can either be a section 20 assault or most seriously, Section 18.
In reality, there isn't a big difference in terms of sentencing between a section 20 or section 47. A Section 20 assault is a more serious injury where intent isn't proven and a section 47 assault is less serious injuries but where intent doesn't need to be proven.
Often the CPS will take the view that there is little point going for a section 20 when the sentencing will be little different to a section 47. The big difference is if someone is charged with an 18 which is where it's proved someone intended to cause serious injury. Often the use of a weapon will be the difference between a section 20 and an 18.

That was an appalling sentence like. I hated it when the coppers were all nicey-nicey to her in the cop shop. Not sure a wife-beating bloke would have been laughing along with the coppers. I struggled to comprehend that just a woman's fists were purely responsible for that much damage. Looked more like being clobbered with a lamp etc.

problem is there was no evidence other than his phone call, that burden of proof makes cases like this very very difficult but it does help keep innocent people out of jail as well. I've done jury service twice and not sent anyone down yet despite knowing they deserved to be away

problem is there was no evidence other than his phone call, that burden of proof makes cases like this very very difficult but it does help keep innocent people out of jail as well. I've done jury service twice and not sent anyone down yet despite knowing they deserved to be away
:lol: ok

Back