20th January Stats

Excellent Health system granted, but how much of this is down to poor overall health. Fast Food Nation, that's what we have become.
Yet getting outdoors for exercise & well being, folk out for a run & cycle are targeted. It's a disgrace since the pandemic started there still hasn't been an advertising blitz on shaping up to help the NHS.
I notice a continued trend from across social media has made it's way onto this thread , whereby people are happy to summarise the UK has a disproportionate amount of fools disobeying COVID-19 precautions. Who knows if it is true, but if it is, what does it say of their place in society to accept this circumstance and abdicate any responsibility? The same people likely aghast at Thatchers claim there is no such thing as society.

Everyone to blame but their perfect self.

With regret I fear this pandemic as heightened communal tensions rather than brought people together, with facebook etc the main battle ground. It's sad to see.

Last edited:

Is this going to result in lower cases, which of course is good news on a whole number of levels...from the WHO directive a couple of days back. I know we have a couple of medical types on here so would be interested in their interpretation.

"WHO guidance Diagnostic testing for SARS-CoV-2 states that careful interpretation of weak positive results is needed (1). The cycle threshold (Ct) needed to detect virus is inversely proportional to the patient’s viral load. Where test results do not correspond with the clinical presentation, a new specimen should be taken and retested using the same or different NAT technology.

WHO reminds IVD users that disease prevalence alters the predictive value of test results; as disease prevalence decreases, the risk of false positive increases (2). This means that the probability that a person who has a positive result (SARS-CoV-2 detected) is truly infected with SARS-CoV-2 decreases as prevalence decreases, irrespective of the claimed specificity."

Yet getting outdoors for exercise & well being, folk out for a run & cycle are targeted. It's a disgrace since the pandemic started there still hasn't been an advertising blitz on shaping up to help the NHS.
I notice a continued trend from across social media has made it's way onto this thread , whereby people are happy to summarise the UK has a disproportionate amount of fools disobeying COVID-19 precautions. Who knows if it is true, but if it is, what does it say of their place in society to accept this circumstance and abdicate any responsibility? The same people likely aghast at Thatchers claim there is no such thing as society.

With regret I fear this pandemic as heightened communal tensions rather than brought people together, with facebook etc the main battle ground. It's sad to see.

I do think one of the underlying issues which has influenced the uk death rate is the number of population relatively high in the BMI range.

The Increase on patients being admitted to hospital and put on a ventilator is proportionally reducing, so deaths should reduce by about 30% from the figures we’re seeing now within 7-10 days from today and then reduce again still as the lockdown and vaccines take effect. That’s the only good news. The death toll today is terrible.

thanks for the good news

the op is absolutely terrifying

if you saw it a year or two ago just out of context you’d think it was from a sci-fi horror film

1,800 deaths in one day in the UK FFS

Good point you make RE Health, fitness etc. Wonder how many deaths could have been avoided with generally healthier lifestyles and people doing more exercise since March.

Whats the point on following the rules if you can't amplify your worthiness and piety by constantly pointing at other people. It's like the annoying brat in class who constantly tells the teacher 'look, I'm a good boy, everyone else is being naughty'. It's like a sport for some people.
It takes away from asking why it is getting transmitted in uk differently to other places. I’m sceptical that we are that much different to everywhere else.

When it comes to dealing with Covid I think most people would say the NHS has performed well and money has been no object.
What shortages there was came early in the first peak, yet this peak has been more devastating

It's a matter of opinion if course. I just have a higher opinion of UK people than you.
Try watching England play away in Europe

Try watching England play away in Europe

Not really a fair sample. You're talking about the creme de la creme of our nob heads there. Mind you, match them up against some of Europe's elite and there will be some stiff competition. I think not being able to understand what's coming out of the mouths of foreign speakers probably adds a false sense of perception about the sophistication of the gobshites of other nations.

That’s simply not true though, if in every general election only people aged 18-60 votes counted, the Tories wouldn’t have won an election since 1987.
And if only 18-21 year old counted, the Green Party or Monster Raving Loony Party would be in power.

Over 60s have worked over 40 years 9in most cases) so should be able to decide what proportion of their savings/pensions they can retain

if you saw it a year or two ago just out of context you’d think it was from a sci-fi horror film
The average number of deaths in England and Wales (for all reasons) in 2019 was around 1450 per day - that's a real rough estimate on my part. (Deaths registered monthly in England and Wales - Office for National Statistics)

No idea what the 'all reasons' figure is currently - I would expect it to be a lot higher because of Covid - but it could also be fair to say that some of the people who've lost their lives to Covid would be part of the 1450 under normal circumstances.

The daily figures we have been hit with for 10 months now are horrible, but they might seem more so because we don't as a rule get told how many people die each day in the UK. We've gone from hearing zero each day prior to early last year to hearing about hundreds/thousands each day and it's a massive shock to the system - not helped by the lurid and often over-hysterical headlines that accompany them.

Last edited:
The average number of deaths in England and Wales (for all reasons) in 2019 was around 1450 per day - that's a real rough estimate on my part. (Deaths registered monthly in England and Wales - Office for National Statistics)

No idea what the 'all reasons' figure is currently - I would expect it to be a lot higher because of Covid - but it could also be fair to say that some of the people who've lost their lives to Covid would be part of the 1450 under normal circumstances.

The daily figures we have been hit with for 10 months now are horrible, but they might seem more so because we don't as a rule get told how many people die each day in the UK. We've gone from hearing zero each day prior to early last year to hearing about hundreds/thousands each day and it's a massive shock to the system - not helped by the lurid and often over-hysterical headlines that accompany them.
Going to be very hard to measure as other things like car fatalities are down.. but is suicide up.
So many variables.. people missing out on ops etc etc

Going to be very hard to measure as other things like car fatalities are down.. but is suicide up.
So many variables.. people missing out on ops etc etc
The only figure that is any use is excess deaths. I would also factor in the loss of years/quality of life.
Callous though it may be, the death of a 93 year old dementia patient is not as significant as a mother in her 40s that has cancer.

The only figure that is any use is excess deaths. I would also factor in the loss of years/quality of life.
Callous though it may be, the death of a 93 year old dementia patient is not as significant as a mother in her 40s that has cancer.

Indeed .. a lot of elderly who have sadly died will not appear on in the excess figures in 2022 etc so we may have a couple of years being below average.

It's still all bollocks either way and one excess is too many

Indeed .. a lot of elderly who have sadly died will not appear on in the excess figures in 2022 etc so we may have a couple of years being below average.

It's still all bollocks either way and one excess is too many
Like everything in life it is a balance of risks. If keeping the economy open and letting everything go on as normal had resulted in 20,000 over 80s dying 2 years prematurely, (Over and above the current carnage) I think most people would have taken that. (Apart from the 20,000 on death's door and their families.)

I can. As said above we have a greater share of idiots than anyone in Europe.
Eire has this strain and even if you times them by 11 we don't even get close.

As a country, we have the highest proportion of people willing to be vaccinated in the world. Our rates of support for measures like working from home, closing schools and quarantining anyone who has been in contact with a confirmed case are among the highest in the world. Every time we have locked down more heavily, the majority of the country have been in favour of it, and have consistently supported tougher measures being introduced.

What we don't have is decent support structures in place. We've not looked into those people working on the lowest paid jobs who can't afford to isolate, or the single-adult households who have to leave go shopping because they have no-one else to do it for them. It's fuck all to do with us having more idiots than anywhere else.

EDIT: Also, if you look at the data, Ireland's "proper lockdown" has roughly the same amount of people moving about as we do in the UK.

Last edited:

Back