2021 Cycling Thread

I've been hit by cars a couple of times in the same way, cars just not stopping before entering a roundabout. It's shite, and yeah, the slow motion thing is weird. Moving to Vancouver for a couple of years where roundabouts are absolutely 𝓯𝓾𝓬𝓴𝓲𝓷𝓰 mental has not helped my hesitation.
Sure we’ve all been there where we look at driver approaching a roundabout, clock him/her and convinced they’ve seen us, while they then plough on regardless.

Been a driver for 30 years or so and can honestly say I’ve never “ not seen” a cyclist and nearly taken them out.

So was that you holding up traffic to Kubiox Saturday? Hope everything heals ok mate and the bike! I was going along Leamside the other week when a woman pulled out of Finchale T junction and was was 2 foot off me before stopping, just seen her out of corner of my eye silly sod. Unreal how people don't see you.

So was that you holding up traffic to Kubiox Saturday? Hope everything heals ok mate and the bike! I was going along Leamside the other week when a woman pulled out of Finchale T junction and was was 2 foot off me before stopping, just seen her out of corner of my eye silly sod. Unreal how people don't see you.
Will have been me....was about 11.30 ish onwards.

Its worse when they look at you and you think they’ve spotted you, then carry on.
Wonder if some are in a trance( or maybe pissed)

Fourth day on after being hit by a car at decent speed...still can barely walk and bruises well and truly out.

Can’t imagine being on the bike for a week or two yet.

Now need to start chasing police for updates and details etc.
Funny enough my body feels like I’ve been hit by a car :eek:
Looking back I’ve been incredibly lucky ( as confirmed by paramedics and the a consultant at hospital)

Driver peered over while I was being kept on the floor to say “ sorry I didn’t see you”
fucks sake:rolleyes:
Have i missed a post here. More info please. Where how when. Sounds horrific.

Have i missed a post here. More info please. Where how when. Sounds horrific.
Shiney Row roundabout...Saturday lunchtime and car came off sliproad and went straight into me.

Know we’ve all had our spills and crashes, this was my worst to date.

No need now mate I've just read the rest of the thread. I don't do that roundabout very often but still had a couple of close shaves. Get well soon mate.

not the best roundabout as you say, was going to go another way Saturday but was due to meet some ex work colleagues on the afternoon for a few beers so took the shorter way home...hindsight and all that :eek: ;)

not the best roundabout as you say, was going to go another way Saturday but was due to meet some ex work colleagues on the afternoon for a few beers so took the shorter way home...hindsight and all that :eek: ;)
its funny how with hindsight some things almost seem like fate... when i was taken out by a little old lady 18 months ago on a route home id turn right at the top of harlow green bank 9 times out of 10... but on the one occasion i go the other way... 😬

Fuck, that sounds nasty. Hope your body gets better OK soon. I've never actually been hit by a car myself although it's been close some times - I usually manage to achieve my incidents without the need of assistance from any other fucker.
Although today I had a close pass by a lorry on a narrow country road that almost made me scream like a girl.

Sure we’ve all been there where we look at driver approaching a roundabout, clock him/her and convinced they’ve seen us, while they then plough on regardless.

Been a driver for 30 years or so and can honestly say I’ve never “ not seen” a cyclist and nearly taken them out.
I hate roundabouts now, especially in car parks. People think normal rules don't apply and just go.

National hill climb championships are on Winnats pass on 31st Oct. I might have a look over. It'll probably be raining.
I've always enjoyed a good hill but you have got to admire anyone who even tries to go up that bastard fast!

National hill climb championships are on Winnats pass on 31st Oct. I might have a look over. It'll probably be raining.
I've always enjoyed a good hill but you have got to admire anyone who even tries to go up that bastard fast!
How come helmets compulsory in TT but not Hill climbs ?
Obviously much slower but still seems a weird rule

Edit that...are lids compulsory in normal TT's now?

Watched the GCN documentary about Andrew Feather a while back......he added the Bealach na Bar to his KOM tally back in August.

How come helmets compulsory in TT but not Hill climbs ?
Obviously much slower but still seems a weird rule

Edit that...are lids compulsory in normal TT's now?
Haven't done one for a while but in my experience it was down to the organisers. Definitely most club TTs didn't used to be compulsory. Health & Safety gome mad if you ask me.

Back