2021 Cycling Thread

@Cee Jay Who did that?

I hadn't realised someone had went sub-3 hours on a 100 (Mind, not proper TTing, it was an A to B route not an A-B-A) - Amateur Jonathan Shubert sets new 100-mile TT record in under 3 hours

I only found out because my mates just been cycle touring round Iceland with him.

barely believable, perfect day or not

Fourth day on after being hit by a car at decent speed...still can barely walk and bruises well and truly out.

Can’t imagine being on the bike for a week or two yet.

Now need to start chasing police for updates and details etc.
Funny enough my body feels like I’ve been hit by a car :eek:
Looking back I’ve been incredibly lucky ( as confirmed by paramedics and the a consultant at hospital)

Driver peered over while I was being kept on the floor to say “ sorry I didn’t see you”
fucks sake:rolleyes:

What’s the bike like?

the frame doesn’t look to bad, but will get it properly looked at, could well be hairline fractures etc.
Shifters look totally fucked, drivetrain ( DI 2) I’m expecting to be fucked, wheels look ok but hard to be sure.

weirdly Garmin remained on mount and without a scratch.

Helmet got a big crack where I hit his windscreen( which was also cracked) Oakleys dead, clothing fucked

Shiney Row roundabout, I’m on roundabout and driver comes up slip from Washington Highway and just carried on.

Fourth day on after being hit by a car at decent speed...still can barely walk and bruises well and truly out.

Can’t imagine being on the bike for a week or two yet.

Now need to start chasing police for updates and details etc.
Funny enough my body feels like I’ve been hit by a car :eek:
Looking back I’ve been incredibly lucky ( as confirmed by paramedics and the a consultant at hospital)

Driver peered over while I was being kept on the floor to say “ sorry I didn’t see you”
fucks sake:rolleyes:
Always the f***ing same excuse, until the law starts really cracking down on it things won't improve.
I also include the tosspot cyclists in that who ride like pricks all over the place and jumping lights etc. before any car drivers start.
"Sorry didn't see you" just means "I really didn't actually look for you as cycles aren't important" or "Actually I did see you but as I'm in a car and not likely to be hurt and you will be, I thought fuck it, you brake and avoid me"

the frame doesn’t look to bad, but will get it properly looked at, could well be hairline fractures etc.
Shifters look totally fucked, drivetrain ( DI 2) I’m expecting to be fucked, wheels look ok but hard to be sure.

weirdly Garmin remained on mount and without a scratch.

Helmet got a big crack where I hit his windscreen( which was also cracked) Oakleys dead, clothing fucked

Shiney Row roundabout, I’m on roundabout and driver comes up slip from Washington Highway and just carried on.
Oh that was you was it. I’ve had a few too many close calls there, I hate it.

jesus f***ing christ... you say you're struggling to walk, have you broken any bones?

whats the demographic of the driver?
No x rays, ultrasound and bloods show no broken bones or damage to kidneys etc.

Older bloke
Oh that was you was it. I’ve had a few too many close calls there, I hate it.
Had a few close escapes myself mate...worked out I must have done that roundabout in that direction maybe 1000+ times.
Might look at other ways back.
Roundabout blocked for at least the 35 minutes cops and ambulances seeing to me.
Having Time Trialled on the likes of the A19 in the past I’m fairly ok with risks, but the impact from Saturday is still with me, and don’t mean physically. Remember very slow motion and after hitting bonnet and windscreen thinking that this isn’t goo. :eek:

Last edited:
I'm assuming he's claimed responsibility?
Apparently he did, I was being kept still on the floor but loads of witnesses speaking to Police and then they had a chat with him in the car.
Need to chase up statements, report number etc but can’t imagine how he couldn’t take responsibility. He came over to me while on floor and said the old “ sorry I didn’t see you”

@Cee Jay pleased to hear you're ok mate , sounds like could have been a lot worse, i only get out on weekends but tend to do that shiney roundabout as part of a loop .

I got knocked off about 18 month ago down hendon and the driver didn't stop , it was early sunday morning so driver was probably over the limit and knew it (or not insured), couple other cars pulled up but nobody got his reg unfortunately , ended up down hospital but wasn't too bad , did make me very hesitant to cycle again though (eventhough id only been cycling couple months ), took about 3-4 months to go out on the roads again and even now i prefer to go out early morning on weekends when less road traffic about .

I may look at getting a turbo at some point , have never tried one , its just the money as wife not working much as result of covid impact on her business.

Hope you can get back on bike sooner rather than later and make a full and speedy recovery mate

I got knocked off about 18 month ago down hendon and the driver didn't stop , it was early sunday morning so driver was probably over the limit and knew it (or not insured), couple other cars pulled up but nobody got his reg unfortunately
christ thats almost worse... im not sure how someone could live with themselves acting like that.

@Cee Jay pleased to hear you're ok mate , sounds like could have been a lot worse, i only get out on weekends but tend to do that shiney roundabout as part of a loop .

I got knocked off about 18 month ago down hendon and the driver didn't stop , it was early sunday morning so driver was probably over the limit and knew it (or not insured), couple other cars pulled up but nobody got his reg unfortunately , ended up down hospital but wasn't too bad , did make me very hesitant to cycle again though (eventhough id only been cycling couple months ), took about 3-4 months to go out on the roads again and even now i prefer to go out early morning on weekends when less road traffic about .

I may look at getting a turbo at some point , have never tried one , its just the money as wife not working much as result of covid impact on her business.

Hope you can get back on bike sooner rather than later and make a full and speedy recovery mate
shit isn’t it...not all drivers are shit obviously, but with some I’m sure it’s a case of they will take a risk or pull a manoeuvre they shouldn’t as it’s “ only a cyclist” and there’s only one “ winner” if owt happens.

Was due to be last ride of year on best bike before the winter one comes out...Sod’s law :rolleyes:

I've been hit by cars a couple of times in the same way, cars just not stopping before entering a roundabout. It's shite, and yeah, the slow motion thing is weird. Moving to Vancouver for a couple of years where roundabouts are absolutely 𝓯𝓾𝓬𝓴𝓲𝓷𝓰 mental has not helped my hesitation.

Back