2021 Cycling Thread

Set mine up on NYE and hoyed the casette on using the bog standard instructions then realised I didn't have the locking nut attachment to tighten it on.......halfords saved the day for once being open on NYD.

the kickr came with a cassette already on....but swapped it as was going on dedicated turbo bike which doesn’t take 11 speed cassettes.

looks possibly turbo weather tomorrow...will see

After several years thinking about it ive crumbled and got smart trainer. Had my first zwift ride yesterday and really enjoyed it. Just in time with Tier 4 (no gym alternative) and the weather looking grim this winter....
Which did you get? Been looking at them for the last couple months and have no idea on what to get, prices seem to range massively aswell. Only got into riding on the road during first lockdown so wouldnt mind a decent one so Im not so slow come spring on the roads again.

Which did you get? Been looking at them for the last couple months and have no idea on what to get, prices seem to range massively aswell. Only got into riding on the road during first lockdown so wouldnt mind a decent one so Im not so slow come spring on the roads again.

Saris H3......decent enough reviews and more importantly it was in stock.
Others on here will be able to give better advice than me.....expect to pay upwards of £500 for a smart trainer though.

quite a bit ice/frost here...certainly on side roads etc

Had a few offs on ice before so if in doubt will always plump for turbo

This sadly.
Averages for my last 5 years.

Distance.= 9140k or 5680miles.

Climbing = 90,851m or 298,068 ft.

Hrs. on bike = 445.

Rides = 216.

2017 was my best year.

2020 was my worst.

I'm guessing Rd. bike = 45%.

Crossbike = 50%.

Mtb = 5%.

No turbo pretendy miles are included in the above.
Bump.

Strange. My previous post is wrongly dated and timed. Was posted today, not yesterday.

Last edited:
Does anyone know.... If I order bike components on that ebay from Japan, will I get involved in a load of nonsense about import tax or whatever?

Does anyone know.... If I order bike components on that ebay from Japan, will I get involved in a load of nonsense about import tax or whatever?

I have as on Rose bike website the other day and they have a disclaimer stating no UK deliveries until the deal is finalised. Just checked again and can’t see it now. Best to check directly with the seller.

nothing has changed regarding getting stuff from e bay.
Will often depend on the value stated ( normally a lower value entered by seller) or even declared as “gifts”

Ordered a HED disc wheel from e bay in the US and import “tax/duty” was minimal.

nothing has changed regarding getting stuff from e bay.
Will often depend on the value stated ( normally a lower value entered by seller) or even declared as “gifts”

Ordered a HED disc wheel from e bay in the US and import “tax/duty” was minimal.
So how does it work - you pay the seller then they ship it, so who contacts you for import tax?

So how does it work - you pay the seller then they ship it, so who contacts you for import tax?

post office contacted me to advise there was a parcel that needed duty/tax paying before it could be released.

Expected the worst but the seller had massively under recorded the value and this is what it was based on

My one goal this year is 10,000K.

Best annual total is 8,800k, so posting on here might give me that extra impetus. Not off to a good start as I am on 16k so far.

post office contacted me to advise there was a parcel that needed duty/tax paying before it could be released.

Expected the worst but the seller had massively under recorded the value and this is what it was based on
Just a heads up in the future the value will be done on the ebay price as it *should* be all electonic. New rules coming in for all online marketplaces to stop this, not sure when eBay will be updated but it was said in one of the Brexit uodates eBay gave to sellers.

My one goal this year is 10,000K.

Best annual total is 8,800k, so posting on here might give me that extra impetus. Not off to a good start as I am on 16k so far.

just looking over Strava and 2016 shows as my best year mileage wise..14,000 Miles but think this is wrong as all other years about 10,000 miles and some rides in 2016 show rides with 114,000 feet :lol:
Think my old Garmin was playing funny buggers

Saris H3......decent enough reviews and more importantly it was in stock.
Others on here will be able to give better advice than me.....expect to pay upwards of £500 for a smart trainer though.
Wife got me a tacx vortex but still can't get it working on zwift. Tech absolutely does my tits in.
As a desperate follow up to my last post, does anyone have any experience troubleshooting on these things. mine has a orange light on that means it needs a software update. but after 2 days I'm unable to do this. Ive been messing about with this for 10 days now and next step is bin it

Last edited:
Wife got me a tacx vortex but still can't get it working on zwift. Tech absolutely does my tits in.
As a desperate follow up to my last post, does anyone have any experience troubleshooting on these things. mine has a orange light on that means it needs a software update. but after 2 days I'm unable to do this. Ive been messing about with this for 10 days now and next step is bin it
I know I could update my kickr with my phone.

Assume your trying to update via the app?

I'm equally shit with IT/Tech
Had to ring Wahoo a few times initially and their support was good.

Tried ringing taxc to see if it's owt they can help you with ?

Ditto....I usually take the switch on/off approach followed by the Basil Faulty give it a dam good thrashing.

the wife uses it early morning ( for Les Mills classes rather than Zwift and using the Wahoo app)

frequently get the call to help when not connecting....been with her for 27 years and you would think she would realise how clueless I am by now :lol:

She thinks it’s some sort of magic when I turn Bluetooth on and off and it then works

Back