2021 Cycling Thread

Don't think helmets are mandatory in TTs are they? Definitely not in RTTC
years since I raced but I do recall some changes were brought in ( working light compulsory etc) not sure if lids were.

Seems odd not to make them compulsory, when they have a battle with loads of fast courses being shut down due to perceived danger.

Quick to DQ people for the likes of not shouting out number at the end etc :lol:

years since I raced but I do recall some changes were brought in ( working light compulsory etc) not sure if lids were.

Seems odd not to make them compulsory, when they have a battle with loads of fast courses being shut down due to perceived danger.

Quick to DQ people for the likes of not shouting out number at the end etc :lol:
How you doing after your misadventure the other week marra?

It's about 4 yrs since I rode one. Rear light was definitely compulsory then but not helmets. I regularly rode club events without helmet and was far from being the only one, although I seem to remember that you needed to check with individual open events as to what rules they applied. I do remember that helmets are compulsory on all VTTA events.
I have never had to shout out number - I think a lot of the rules like that are down to individual organisers. I once fell foul of one where I hadn't read through all of the race instructions that it was DQ if you stayed on the aero bars when negotiating a roundabout in the middle of the course where you went straight ahead and could take it fast if there was no traffic.

How you doing after your misadventure the other week marra?

Very vey slow going. Further hospital appointments booked as there are swellings/numbness that haven't settled.
Bruising was horrific but started to go.

Now appointed a solicitor and the fun and games have started. I've been told not to respond or comment on social media ( not on FB, twitter etc) and also that I should make Strava etc private.

Loads going on behind the scenes that I can't comment on in a public thread
It's about 4 yrs since I rode one. Rear light was definitely compulsory then but not helmets. I regularly rode club events without helmet and was far from being the only one, although I seem to remember that you needed to check with individual open events as to what rules they applied. I do remember that helmets are compulsory on all VTTA events.
I have never had to shout out number - I think a lot of the rules like that are down to individual organisers. I once fell foul of one where I hadn't read through all of the race instructions that it was DQ if you stayed on the aero bars when negotiating a roundabout in the middle of the course where you went straight ahead and could take it fast if there was no traffic.

Remember an organisor ( Hartlepool 105 course I think) going apes shit at people not shouting out numbers :lol:

Dangerous riding, or peeing in locals gardens while warming up I understand mind :oops:

Last edited:
Very vey slow going. Further hospital appointments booked as there are swellings/numbness that haven't settled.
Bruising was horrific but started to go.

Now appointed a solicitor and the fun and games have started. I've been told not to respond or comment on social media ( not on FB, twitter etc) and also that I should make Strava etc private.

Loads going on behind the scenes that I can't comment on in a public thread

Remember an organisor ( Hartlepool 105 course I think) going apes shit at people not shouting out numbers :lol:

Dangerous riding, or peeing in locals gardens while warming up I understand mind :oops:
Well good luck with it all, hopefully your injuries start to heal quicker and then you get justice done 👍

Me and er are both 50 next year and we are planning on doing the 3 peaks (walking of course) and C2C (cycling of course)
Does anyone know who the best transport company is?
Do they pick up at Roker early doors and take you and bikes to Whitehaven?
Any info appreciated
@Dave Herbal

Last edited:
Me and er are both 50 next year and we are planning on doing the 3 peaks (walking of course) and C2C (cycling of course)
Does anyone know who the best transport company is?
Do they pick up at Roker early doors and take you and bikes to Whitehaven?
Any info appreciated
@Dave Herbal
We use Moores taxis, but that’s for a big trailer. You’re better off getting the train if there’s only 2.

Make sure you book, cos you can only get 2 bikes on per train or something stupid
Good tip cheers
Pretty certain you can't pre book the bikes on Northern trains....basically turn up and hope for the best.
I've seen them allow 3/4 bikes on before when the train was quiet though...
Pretty poor service that mind innit, could fk your whole trip right up

Hope you’re on the mend @Cee Jay.

I finally bit the bullet and bought a Kickr. I had been toying with the idea for a while and the weather worsening I finally took the leap. I made some decent fitness gains over the summer and I’d like to not lose them all over the winter.

Everything I read says consistency is key so if I can manage 100km a week I’ll be happy.

Hope you’re on the mend @Cee Jay.

I finally bit the bullet and bought a Kickr. I had been toying with the idea for a while and the weather worsening I finally took the leap. I made some decent fitness gains over the summer and I’d like to not lose them all over the winter.

Everything I read says consistency is key so if I can manage 100km a week I’ll be happy.
Very slow going…understandable looking back given the hit I’ve taken.

Back on turbo for some short rides. More about mentally ticking over and still sor.

Cant see myself outside for ages yet. When injuries full heal almost certain going to need physio etc.

The kickr while expensive is a huge step up on my old non smart turbos

Back on turbo for some short rides. More about mentally ticking over and still sor.

Cant see myself outside for ages yet. When injuries full heal almost certain going to need physio etc.

Ive always been more of a gravel biker, even before I knew gravel was an actual thing. I live right next to the C2C path so I usually just jump on there. I started riding on the road earlier this year and I hate the busy ones. No idea how people do it in big cities.

Ive always been more of a gravel biker, even before I knew gravel was an actual thing. I live right next to the C2C path so I usually just jump on there. I started riding on the road earlier this year and I hate the busy ones. No idea how people do it in big cities.
I only get to bike weekend and bit of a newbie , forced down that route but unless I’m ropey off the night before I go out by 8am , not ideal but once gets to 930 onwards the traffic picks up too much , some right arseholes on the road , some don’t see you and some obviously dislike cyclists on the road also

Not ideal by any means but you will get there mate 👍

Back