2021 Cycling Thread

Is that on the Roman road, not busy as fk?

Not the times I have used it, really quiet actually
I'd also be interested in any planned route, was also fancying train across to Carlisle and ride back to Consett at some point

(I was thinking one of the back roads to Alston and then regular C2C route from there)

I was planning our lads annual trip and was thinking about Durham to Glasgow. This was going to be the way we went but in reverse to Carlisle (if that makes any sense)

Last edited:

Youre a bit sharp on that bike mate, get yersel out into the Durham dales.
Mate I do loops not too far away as clueless if get bike problems 😆 , not most confident cyclist hate the traffic … it’s not being able to run anymore that’s forced me to try cycling lately , had right hangover when got up but wanted to swim or bike couldn’t face swim when hungover , seems like missed loads dolphins down seaburn this morn enall

Anyone have any thoughts about good spots to ride to / watch (for Stage 6)

I'm thinking either between Cowshill - Allenheads or Rowlands Gill - Burnopfield

Great to see the ToB coming through part of the region, the route goes past the bottom of my street which is great to watch it but I'm guessing I wont be using the car that day!

Anyone have any thoughts about good spots to ride to / watch (for Stage 6)

I'm thinking either between Cowshill - Allenheads or Rowlands Gill - Burnopfield

Top of Hartside would be canny.....might have to get up early. Not entirely sure what the cut off would be to ride up?

There's another CAT1 at Burtree Fell just before Allenheads.

Last edited:
Top of Hartside would be canny.....might have to get up early. Not entirely sure what the cut off would be to ride up?

There's another CAT1 at Burtree Fell just before Allenheads.

I think Burtree is the first one i said, after Coswhill

(top of Hartside would be fun, but would be a decent ride - unless i was to drive to somewhere like Garrigill and ride from there, but that seems like cheating

2012 all over again today... great timing from carapaz mind to gap for the win, but no one was gonna help wva today. hope lizzie deignan was taking notes.

Incidentally, can you give any advice on the process required for going on a train with a bike? I believe it can be different with different train companies & different designs of train and that with some you need to book and other times you can just rock up and hope to get on? The last time I travelled with a bike it was easy cos you just shoved in the guards van 😂. Life was much simpler in the previous century.
So, what do I need to know about booking a bike on a train? If the journey involves a change how the fuck do you ensure you don't get stranded at the change station cos you can't get on the second train? Etc, etc.

Trans Pennine are the best. You can drop them a text (“Trans Pennine Bike” on WhatsApp) with your train times and they book you in and the hangers have more space. LNER can be quite fiddly as the hangers are much tighter. If there’s two big(ish) bikes with drops, they don’t really fit. Northern is first come, first served.

Take the bike on the train quite a lot so hopefully helpful to you/others.

So a Zwift question...I realise that people can “cheat” by mucking about with weight or having inaccurate Power Meters etc, but how would someone inflate the actual miles they’re riding ?

Someone went flying by me this morning, naturally doing 6.5 WPK but more impressively he’d clocked 358 Miles at that point :eek:

Can understand the dodgy watts but how could he fake the distance.

very f***ing weird :lol:

Back