2021 Cycling Thread

I'm hoping to get away again in September for 3/4 days after cycling the NC500 back in May....(not sure if I've mentioned it :) )
Makes a huge difference carrying 12/14lbs in the panniers....especially when climbing. My Genesis steel framed bike isn't the lightest either...but perfect for touring.

Train to Carlisle tomorrow and riding back home.....if anything the weather is too good!
You must have been travelling a lot lighter than me. I had tent, sleeping bag etc as well as clothes, stove. kitchen sink... All-up the 4 panniers came to about 20kg. Actually there was more weight today cos last night I met up with an old mate in Todmorden who owns a brewery, and around midnight we were still boozing in the brewery bar and he was insisting on filling the one pannier I had with some bottles - I rode back to the campsite clinking 😂 & managed to cram everything in for the ride home today. Took it steady.

I'm hoping to get away again in September for 3/4 days after cycling the NC500 back in May....(not sure if I've mentioned it :) )
Makes a huge difference carrying 12/14lbs in the panniers....especially when climbing. My Genesis steel framed bike isn't the lightest either...but perfect for touring.

Train to Carlisle tomorrow and riding back home.....if anything the weather is too good!
Nice, what route do you take? Quietish roads back to hexham way? Fancy doin it myself soon

Nice, what route do you take? Quietish roads back to hexham way? Fancy doin it myself soon

I'd also be interested in any planned route, was also fancying train across to Carlisle and ride back to Consett at some point

(I was thinking one of the back roads to Alston and then regular C2C route from there)

Incidentally, can you give any advice on the process required for going on a train with a bike? I believe it can be different with different train companies & different designs of train and that with some you need to book and other times you can just rock up and hope to get on? The last time I travelled with a bike it was easy cos you just shoved in the guards van 😂. Life was much simpler in the previous century.
So, what do I need to know about booking a bike on a train? If the journey involves a change how the fuck do you ensure you don't get stranded at the change station cos you can't get on the second train? Etc, etc.

For longer rides I always make sure I've got energy drinks instead of just hydration.

I like having flapjack but it's whatever you can digest easily. I try to keep gels for later in the ride. Frozen might be an idea in this case.
I got really bad guts, reflux the lot from using gels during a 107 mile ride on the cyclone. That was a long horrible day.

Had to do a Tom Demoulin half way into it.

Last edited:
Incidentally, can you give any advice on the process required for going on a train with a bike? I believe it can be different with different train companies & different designs of train and that with some you need to book and other times you can just rock up and hope to get on? The last time I travelled with a bike it was easy cos you just shoved in the guards van 😂. Life was much simpler in the previous century.
So, what do I need to know about booking a bike on a train? If the journey involves a change how the fuck do you ensure you don't get stranded at the change station cos you can't get on the second train? Etc, etc.

i think its just a case of check the relevant train operators website

for ex - i checked Northern Rail to see if theres any restrictions and the only thing it said was '1 bike per person' - well duh

:)

Well,seeing as though we're talking about long rides I'll take this opportunity to say i had a complete mare trying to do the C2C today. Got as far as Alston and had to stop as i was cramping too much. The ride was a mare all round tbh. Had a new computer that i pre set a route that from the off beeped every few seconds and told to take a U turn. Followed instructions until i was pissed off and turned it off. The first 30 miles felt real slow and sluggish. Was a right slog and just didn't have the legs. Stopped at Keswick for a toilet break and pushing the bike seemed heavier than usual. The brakes had been rubbing the back rim. After that was canny going until just at the top of Hartside i started cramping. Carried on the downhill to Alston and then the first little climb the cramping was back with a vengeance and had to stop.
My son was following as support and fancied a ride so we swapped roles. Met up with him at Nethead and asked how far yo planning riding. "well I'll get at least to Stanhope i reckon". I drove to Stanhope to wait and had a pint in the boozer (outside) at the bottom of Crawleyside. Took me time with the pint and he seemed to be taking a while. Rang him to see if there was a problem? "nah loving it". Where you at then"? "Castleside". :eek: . He'd seen the van as he passed but not me. Fucker was flying.
Oh to be young(er).

Well,seeing as though we're talking about long rides I'll take this opportunity to say i had a complete mare trying to do the C2C today. Got as far as Alston and had to stop as i was cramping too much. The ride was a mare all round tbh. Had a new computer that i pre set a route that from the off beeped every few seconds and told to take a U turn. Followed instructions until i was pissed off and turned it off. The first 30 miles felt real slow and sluggish. Was a right slog and just didn't have the legs. Stopped at Keswick for a toilet break and pushing the bike seemed heavier than usual. The brakes had been rubbing the back rim. After that was canny going until just at the top of Hartside i started cramping. Carried on the downhill to Alston and then the first little climb the cramping was back with a vengeance and had to stop.
My son was following as support and fancied a ride so we swapped roles. Met up with him at Nethead and asked how far yo planning riding. "well I'll get at least to Stanhope i reckon". I drove to Stanhope to wait and had a pint in the boozer (outside) at the bottom of Crawleyside. Took me time with the pint and he seemed to be taking a while. Rang him to see if there was a problem? "nah loving it". Where you at then"? "Castleside". :eek: . He'd seen the van as he passed but not me. Fucker was flying.
Oh to be young(er).

The heat was a killer today like.....think I used up 6/7 bottles riding across from Carlisle.

Northern operate on a first come first served basis. On the 2 carriage train oner to Carlisle this morning you had room for 2 bikes but I'm aware that they will allow a couple more if the train isn't busy.
You can definitely book your bike on to a specific GNER train

Last edited:
I’m normally good in the heat but was cooked this morning...couple of impact flats repaired in the sun didn’t help.

possibly dehydrated from Yesterday.
Lad I was cycling with prob ran with your missus mate , I was hanging on … been for few beers ashbrooke cric club and waiting for a taxi now . 2minds tomorrow bike or sea swim

Last edited:
Oh to be young(er).
Absolutely mental weather for the c2c today like. Think I've had about 3 litres to drink from riding 40 miles and still feel ill.

Back