2021 Cycling Thread

Planning, well not planning actually. Just decided,as i have the chance of a lift to Whitehaven tomorrow, to attempt the C2C. I say attempt as I'm not expecting to finish it. Question is, what do you folks take for "proper food" on a long ride? Have energy gels,bars etc. Just wondering what's best to eat?
Sandwich thins are good. Also jellied sweets.

Planning, well not planning actually. Just decided,as i have the chance of a lift to Whitehaven tomorrow, to attempt the C2C. I say attempt as I'm not expecting to finish it. Question is, what do you folks take for "proper food" on a long ride? Have energy gels,bars etc. Just wondering what's best to eat?
For longer rides I always make sure I've got energy drinks instead of just hydration.

I like having flapjack but it's whatever you can digest easily. I try to keep gels for later in the ride. Frozen might be an idea in this case.

when i did the 3/4/5 Dales a couple of years ago the last food stop was in Reeth

the 'food' consisted of a large hamper full of gels (all that was left was banana flavour) and a large hamper full of pork pies

needless to say i overdid the pork pies and Grinton Moor became a climb to forget

:)

Banana flavoured gels?

Oooof....lifting.

Road bike tyres , do you just blow them up til Almost Rock hard so that no drag ? Or is it best to be a bit bounce in them ?
😬

Even when the gauge is 100psi they still seem bit soft ? Unless my pump gauge is dodgy
I run 85-90 psi and fine for most people.

Just can't see the point of running 120 which I've seen others do. Completely uneccessary.

Even on short TT's I remember once running conti Supersonics ( sure they were 19mm ?) with near to 120 psi.
Never seemed any quicker but a god awful uncomfortable experience.

I can pop by with my pump tomorrow?
Thanks for offer mate , but although I’m WFH tomorrow it maybe from my daughters on the afternoon as she expecting a delivery and she can’t WFH.

it sounds like you don’t have to pump them up to 120 which I had been doing , I just assumed if get them hard they roll better , as people aware , I know little about bike mechanics etc 😀

Thanks for offer mate , but although I’m WFH tomorrow it maybe from my daughters on the afternoon as she expecting a delivery and she can’t WFH.

it sounds like you don’t have to pump them up to 120 which I had been doing , I just assumed if get them hard they roll better , as people aware , I know little about bike mechanics etc 😀

All depends on your weight and tyre size......comfort/speed/rolling resistance balance.

My wife will often pinch the sidewall of tyres and claim they could do with some air in them !
Telling her constantly there will be always more give pressing sidewall than the main body of the tyre.

She still has never fixed her own flats/punctures after more than ten years of serious racing/riding. She watches me and says it looks relatively easy and she could probably manage :eek: :rolleyes:

Just got back from 4 days touring. This was the first time I have ridden a fully-loaded touring bike for I think 28 years, and for some reason the whole touring malarky seems to be a bit harder when you are in your 60s - who'da thought?. Went from Cheshire up via calderdale and into Wharfedale then back. Some hills out that way! I stayed in a great campsite with spectacular views above Hebden Bridge but it was at the top of a frankly unreasonably steep bastard cobbled hill such that I don't think I could contemplate staying there again unless I get a f***ing motorbike.

Just got back from 4 days touring. This was the first time I have ridden a fully-loaded touring bike for I think 28 years, and for some reason the whole touring malarky seems to be a bit harder when you are in your 60s - who'da thought?. Went from Cheshire up via calderdale and into Wharfedale then back. Some hills out that way! I stayed in a great campsite with spectacular views above Hebden Bridge but it was at the top of a frankly unreasonably steep bastard cobbled hill such that I don't think I could contemplate staying there again unless I get a f***ing motorbike.

I'm hoping to get away again in September for 3/4 days after cycling the NC500 back in May....(not sure if I've mentioned it :) )
Makes a huge difference carrying 12/14lbs in the panniers....especially when climbing. My Genesis steel framed bike isn't the lightest either...but perfect for touring.

Train to Carlisle tomorrow and riding back home.....if anything the weather is too good!

Back