2021 Cycling Thread

He’s going to be fantastic to watch the next years
To mix it with the likes of van aert & van der poel in only the first four months shows how much promise ineos saw in him.

in terms of uk riders, who’s been the strongest spring classic rider we’ve had?

To mix it with the likes of van aert & van der poel in only the first four months shows how much promise ineos saw in him.

in terms of uk riders, who’s been the strongest spring classic rider we’ve had?
Recent years got to be Ian Stannard, Luke Rowe and Geraint Thomas off the top of my head, but all basically had to sacrifice the classics for the GT's. Stannard was just pure power, Rowe has road skills which beats most in the peloton, Thomas is biggest let down for me, he looked like he could win pretty much all the classics but then chased the Tour as thats all that matters to the British public (and maybe him) and sacrificed the chance to win a lot for that 1 TdF, but probably earned a lot more than he would have.

Cav trumps them all with wins I think but with his speed he was always going to be used for the sprints in the GT's.

Had to change my tubeless slicks on my new-ish road bike. Wasn't looking forward to it, as i don't have a compressed air pump.

Watched a few vids, and amazingly, they pumped up first time with valve still in, with normal track pump.

Little bit of gunk spillage, but thats it. Given that i'm the Frank spencer/ Mr. Bean of cycle mechanics, job well done. Can't see what the concern was for.

Top tip. If you are removing the air from the tyre to apply the gunk into the valve hole, before removing the valve, remove most of the air through the valve.

Without thinking, i unscrewed the valve while fully inflated, and it took off like a rocket. After 15 minutes of not hopeful searching the garden i found the valve behind a watering can.

I bet it was the last place you looked anarl
I went for a relatively modest ride in that Peak District yesterday and I just about broke myself. Getting older is a bit of a bastard. It was gorgeous though but. And being a monday the roads weren't full of bloody cyclists

Last edited:
Looking at buying a hybrid bike from Evans Cycles soon.

I've narrowed it down to either the sirrus 1.0 or the pinnacle lithium 3.

Which should I go for?

Keeping my lovely old summer road bike going well is getting like running an old classic car. Last year I was putting up with one of the shifters slipping a bit. I replaced some springs & had it refurbished by the official Campag service elves which improved things substantially but the problem was still there. Then the other one started to go as well. I assumed it would be easy to pick up some decent replacements but it is interesting how that generation of kit seems to have recently reached the point where it's disappearing from ebay and from the various sources for new (old) kit. So after some searching I bought a pair of new old stock Chorus 10sp Ergo shifter bodies with full new mechanisms while I still can. I just swapped over the levers etc and re-installed/re-adjusted everything and went out for a test ride today. Man, but they are f***ing good. I have never had such crisp positive shifting on a bike. I should be able to get another 10 or 15 years out of them I should think, by which time I really should be too old and knackered to ride the fucker anyway.

Heading to Inverness tomorrow to start my NC 500 trip......6 days cycling staying in a mixture of hostels, B&B's and a pod on my last night. f***ing off the busy east coast and heading south further inland around Melvich down to Helmside and staying over in Lairg on my last night.

Weather not playing ball making it tricky in terms of packing and keeping the weight down on the panniers......could be snowing on Tues/Wed :D

Wish me luck.....looking forward to it...... and shitting it in equal measure ;)

Heading to Inverness tomorrow to start my NC 500 trip......6 days cycling staying in a mixture of hostels, B&B's and a pod on my last night. f***ing off the busy east coast and heading south further inland around Melvich down to Helmside and staying over in Lairg on my last night.

Weather not playing ball making it tricky in terms of packing and keeping the weight down on the panniers......could be snowing on Tues/Wed :D

Wish me luck.....looking forward to it...... and shitting it in equal measure ;)
Good luck, can't wait to hear about it.

What's that working out at then, about 80 mile a day or some longer or shorter legs

Back