2021 Cycling Thread

huge potential....not lacking in confidence mind

Genuinely think he's got GC potential, if he wants to go that route. Can climb, TT and sprint and is about 5 stone dripping wet.

Depends on what his aims are though. He'll not be able to do that if he wants to continue with cross and mountain biking.

Genuinely think he's got GC potential, if he wants to go that route. Can climb, TT and sprint and is about 5 stone dripping wet.

Depends on what his aims are though. He'll not be able to do that if he wants to continue with cross and mountain biking.
Suppose he’s still young enough that he can have a season or two doing various disciplines before he commits to GC fully...if that’s even what he wants to do.

Compatibility question regarding set up and gearing options...

On “best“ bike I’m currently running Ultegra DI2 ( older 11 speed version 6870 ) with 52/36 and 11-28 cassette.

As getting older/slower and unlikely to ever race again I’m looking at going full compact rather than semi compact.

As the current crankset is a 4 arm design, everything I’ve read suggests that simply swapping chainrings over to 50/34 should be straight forward, mentions that I may need to shorten chain slightly.
Is it as straightforward compatibility wise ?

Also as I’m using a current short cage rear mech would a 30 cassette be compatible with 50/34 ? Not a problem keeping 11-28 just thinking about options and been told set up could take up to 30t

Ridiculous to think I used to have road bike and TT bike with 54/42 :oops:
I'm not a nexpert with either Shimano road gears or that electronic stuff, but I think that with that generation of chainset the rings all have the same bcd so you should be able to just swap them for 50/34. As for the 30t cassette it's not "officially" within the range of the short cage but especially with the smaller rings I suspect it will likely work OK. You might need to fiddle with the B screw. If you are fitting new rings & cassette then presumably you will be fitting a new chain so just set the length as required for them. I suppose you've got nowt to lose - if the worst comes to the worst you will just have to get a long cage mech.

Finally got round to finishing off this build. I've done it for one of my lads after I picked up the frame and (brand new) forks for £50. The rest of it cost a fuck sight more than that though but 🙄.
It's my first experience of SRAM gears and am quite impressed with how they work, but not exactly blown away by hydraulic discs - I think I would still choose good rim brakes personally for road, but then this is a cx frameset that I have just built with more of a fast road-oriented setup. I'm quite pleased with it actually. It rides really well.
Logon or register to see this image

Bollocks - why didn't that image work !!!
So maybe this one works

Fuck, I'm so useless at this shit
Last try
Fuck it
Anyway, it's a 2016 Boardman CX Team frameset built up with SRAM Rival 22 hyd, FSA Gossamer compact chainset, Shimano WH-rx31 wheels with 32mm road tyres.

Last edited:
Finally got round to finishing off this build. I've done it for one of my lads after I picked up the frame and (brand new) forks for £50. The rest of it cost a fuck sight more than that though but 🙄.
It's my first experience of SRAM gears and am quite impressed with how they work, but not exactly blown away by hydraulic discs - I think I would still choose good rim brakes personally for road, but then this is a cx frameset that I have just built with more of a fast road-oriented setup. I'm quite pleased with it actually. It rides really well.

Bollocks - why didn't that image work !!!
So maybe this one works

Fuck, I'm so useless at this shit
Last try
Fuck it
Anyway, it's a 2016 Boardman CX Team frameset built up with SRAM Rival 22 hyd, FSA Gossamer compact chainset, Shimano WH-rx31 wheels with 32mm road tyres.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Age and tech aren't ever a good mix

Compatibility question regarding set up and gearing options...

On “best“ bike I’m currently running Ultegra DI2 ( older 11 speed version 6870 ) with 52/36 and 11-28 cassette.

As getting older/slower and unlikely to ever race again I’m looking at going full compact rather than semi compact.

As the current crankset is a 4 arm design, everything I’ve read suggests that simply swapping chainrings over to 50/34 should be straight forward, mentions that I may need to shorten chain slightly.
Is it as straightforward compatibility wise ?

Also as I’m using a current short cage rear mech would a 30 cassette be compatible with 50/34 ? Not a problem keeping 11-28 just thinking about options and been told set up could take up to 30t

Ridiculous to think I used to have road bike and TT bike with 54/42 :oops:

Al has already answered, but to confirm (off the top of my head)

your short cage RD will have a max capacity of 34 - your current setup is 33/34

your new setup with an 11-30 on the back would technically exceed the limit and be 35/34 but i would'nt worry, Shimano always seem to undervalue their max

You're right about maybe needing to shorten the chain a little, you might also need to tweak limit screws - you could also play it safe (and expensive) by buying a 6800 GS if you wanted absolute peace of mind

Al has already answered, but to confirm (off the top of my head)

your short cage RD will have a max capacity of 34 - your current setup is 33/34

your new setup with an 11-30 on the back would technically exceed the limit and be 35/34 but i would'nt worry, Shimano always seem to undervalue their max

You're right about maybe needing to shorten the chain a little, you might also need to tweak limit screws - you could also play it safe (and expensive) by buying a 6800 GS if you wanted absolute peace of mind

went to LBS and chainrings ordered, lad reckons can work and he’s done the same swap over.
For some reason reckons works better with electronic shifting.

30 cassette not the clincher, 28 always done me even when riding steeper stuff abroad, albeit with compact

Back